FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nikon D3100 Filming and post production

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Supapprom
Nikon D3100 Filming and post production
on Nov 10, 2010 at 4:49:02 pm

Hi guys
This is my first thread and post on this great forum.
I just have some questions to which I didn't find any answers. Neither with google in general, nor here on the site.
I'm new to the field of filming with a DSLR but I'm very motivated and willing to learn but please be patient if I don't understand everything right away.
My most important question is concerning filming with the Nikon D3100. I just bought it a few days ago and was so excited because I could finally start filming with it. I love photography but when I saw how amazing some clips looked like filmed with a DSLR I too wanted to try.

You have to know, I LOVE slow motion. When I got into post production I tried to slow down the clips I filmed just to notice that the slow motion wasn't as smooth as I wanted it to be. After a few minutes of googling I understood that I needed 60fps. Unfortunatly my Nikon D3100 is only able to film at 30fps max.
So what to do now? I read something about the shutter speed but didn't quite understand it.
Could you explain this to me, how the shutter speed could effect the post production working with slow motion? I'm also confused because putting up the shutter speed darkens the images pretty much, or am I wrong?

Since I am at the beginning and pretty much a newbie, what would you recommend me to use on programms? I know it's a silly question since there is no "best" programm but in general, what would you recommend me to start with? I'm working with a mac.
iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express (where is the main difference between these two anyway?) or Adobe After Effects?

Thank you very much! :)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Nikon D3100 Filming and post production
on Nov 10, 2010 at 6:16:06 pm

I'd honestly suggest getting a camera with a 60 fps mode if you really are into slow motion. You can spend a fortune in getting a plugin that does high quality slow motion such as Twixtor. Or live with the less impressive results of an NLE. But there's no substitute for high speed frames for better motion sampling.

Nikon unfortunately has lagged way behind Canon in terms of DSLR video features . You might want to look into a Canon T2i which would give you 60 fps at 720p. It's a bit more expensive than the D3100 but not by much.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Supapprom
on Nov 10, 2010 at 7:26:17 pm

if i only had known this before i bought the camera!
good to know but what about the shutter speed i read about? could you explain this to me? does this help me with slow motion issue?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:40:31 pm

In general a higher shutter speed makes better slow motion- but not too high. for 30fps 1/60 or a bit more should be fine.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 11, 2010 at 9:27:38 am

To add:
Benjamin, in case you didn't know:
Don't confuse fps (frames per second) with shutter speed.

If you are shooting at 30fps with a shutter speed of 30, each frame is exposed 1/30 second, with a shutter speed of 60 1/60 of a second etc.
A rule of thumb in general filming is, to shoot with double the shutter speed, than your framerate.

The lower the shutter speed, the higher the motion blur and vice versa.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Supapprom
on Nov 11, 2010 at 2:10:17 pm

that was helpful! thx

Return to posts index

carlos gonzalez
on Dec 17, 2011 at 4:51:54 pm

Somebody can help me to guide on how to get a plug in for Nikon D3100 so that I can do log & transfer from FCP7 to capture the clips filmed with the Nikon? I know that for Canon that possibility exist, but I just bought the Nikon a few months ago and I have to stick with it now...

I guess that I can always use MPEG stream clip, but because I am a Final Cut user, I want to know if it is possible to use log & transfer with this Nikon D3100.

Thanks in advance

Carlos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]