FORUMS: list search recent posts

T2i Movie file unrecognized

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Cornell
T2i Movie file unrecognized
on Nov 9, 2010 at 8:39:52 pm

I shot approximately a 10-12 minute clip on my T2i. The file size is 3.26GB according to my MAC file system.

When I try to open the clip in quicktime, the error reads "The file is not a movie file".

This is the only clip on that particular card that is not playable. I also noticed that this clip does NOT have a thumbnail associated with it.

This is a really important clip so I'm hoping that someone knows how I can read it, transcode it and get it into Final Cut.

I no longer have the footage stored on the SDHC card. I have it saved on my hard drive.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
Re: T2i Movie file unrecognized
on Nov 10, 2010 at 4:53:56 am

If this is caused by the absence of thumbnail file, this is what you can do.

In the folder where your movie file is, bring a .thm file. It could be any .thm file from your t2i. Now you have to rename this clip. so if your movie file is

xyz.mov

then your thumbnail file would be

xyz.thm

After you have saved the file is this folder, try log & transfer and hopefully it should work fine.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Steve Cornell
on Nov 10, 2010 at 2:47:08 pm

Hi Sohrab,

I tried that as well. Final Cut will import all clips form that card except the 'one'.

There is a program out there called "Treasured" and it was able to open and view my entire clip. However, this is just a preview and in order have access to the clip, you have to pay a technician repair fees. This service looks good but the cost is out of my budget.

If anyone knows a 'free' way to get this clip opened and transcoded, I'd appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Nov 11, 2010 at 2:01:23 am

So does this clip have a .mov extension?

Have you tried opening in MPEG Streamclip?

Russ

Return to posts index

Steve Cornell
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:36:16 pm

Hi Russ,

It does have a .mov extension. I tried to open it with the following apps:

MPEG streamclip
Final Cut Log & Transfer
Toast 10 Videoplayer
ClipWrap
VLC
Compressor

All the data is in the clip. For reasons unknown to me, my T2i didn't save the file properly. As I mentioned, there is a program called Treasured that was able to open a preview of the entire 12 minute clip. The only problem is to actually use the program is too expensive for my budget.

The data is there, the problem is how the heck do I get to it ?

Return to posts index

David Zak
on Jul 31, 2013 at 6:50:58 pm

hmm. this has happened to me many times as well...

i would also really appreciate advice on how to fix this. scary to think some random shots get lost for an unexplainable reason!

anyone have help on this matter or did you solve it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]