FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching a HDSLR with say a HVX200

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Matching a HDSLR with say a HVX200
on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:16:45 pm

For my next big shoot in a few weeks I am considering using a Panasonic HVX200 and a HDSLR. The HDSLR (Nikon) shoots 1920x1080 24ps. Will these match up image quality wise or will it look awkward. With the Nikon being so new (only about a week on the market in the USA) let's say a Canon 5D or 7D being used along side of the HVX200.

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
Re: Matching a HDSLR with say a HVX200
on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:17:11 pm

Thats what i am aiming to do in about 3 weeks time.

Hvx-200 with a canon t2i. I plan to shoot 720p60 on both. Needless to say i have my fingers crossed!

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:51:14 pm

I would shoot the Panny at 720p@24p and the Canon at 1080@24p, then I would convert the canon stuff to 720@23.98 DVCPorHD to match the Panny stuff.

Test the T2i shooting 720 most people don't like it.

Biggest thing to do is to make sure the frame-rate is the same, not a problem to trancode to another resolution.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:59:53 pm

[Michael Sacci] "Test the T2i shooting 720 most people don't like it."

Any specific reason???

I have shot some stuff at 720 before. I thought it was great!

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 7, 2010 at 12:39:16 am

Sohrab, 720p on DSLR, You can get into in worse moraying and liaising. But each shooter has test it out for themselves. Not saying don't do it as much as really test it out first. If you (and your client) like the results that is all that matters.

Return to posts index

Kaye Woods
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:26:36 pm

Can I ask why shoot in 720p? I have an hvx200a and hpx170 and was hoping to mix them with 5d footage for a wedding. I wanted to shoot 1080p for blu ray. Is 720 better because of the rectangular pixels? How would 720p look on blu ray?

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Feb 18, 2011 at 2:53:02 am

On a recent music video shoot, I used the Canon 5D Mark II and the HVX200. We shot in 1920x1080p on both cameras. What I noticed in post was that the HVX200 had jaggy lines in the shots with any motion. I was told that I should have removed the advanced pulldown prior to editing and that would have eliminated those jaggy lines. Needless to say, I didn't use a lot of the HVX footage. The colors of the HVX weren't as rich as the Canon 5D too. I had to do some serious color color correction to try and get it to match as close as possible.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Nov 4, 2010 at 8:21:05 pm

I've tried this with a Canon 7D 1080p and a JVC 111E at 720p. Resolution, colour etc were a usable match after a little work in post. What stuck out though was the depth of field factor.

Shoot close ups with the HDSLR and wide shots with the HVX. Don't shoot matching frame sizes with different cameras and you should be right.

Try some tests with camera set ups prior to main shoot.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Michael King
on Nov 4, 2010 at 9:03:44 pm

I did a project a few months ago with a HVX200 and two Canon 5ds. I did what Phil did with using the HVX at the back of house for the wide. My reasons were because it was a live show just under an hour in length. The HVX had two 32gb cards and the audio feed from the mixing board, the 5ds shot cutaways and close ups because of their shooting times and because they could match better than with the HVX. I don't know what type of project your doing or if my reasons would apply.

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Nov 4, 2010 at 10:42:30 pm

Well I am going to be shooting a Music Video inside a large dance hall place. I will definitely keep that is mind with using one camera as a wide shot camera and the other for my close ups and cutaways.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 5, 2010 at 2:43:10 am

First off, I have never done a real music video myself however... from my reading about the music video technique, I'd think you'd be far better off just shooting everything with the HD DSLR.

I don't think you will end up using much, if anything, of the HVX footage shooting the wide master...I say this because I think the depth of field issue and the whole "look" of the footage from the cameras will be so different. The HVX200, even in Cinema Mode, looks much more "video-ey" than the HD DSLR footage (I shoot with a Canon T2i but I am assuming the Nikon footage looks about the same)

Sure, with enough time spent in color correction and grading maybe you can get the two cameras to look a little bit the same but the difference is going to be obvious, in my humble opinion.

I do have a bias, I sold all my HVX200 equipment for a Canon T2i rig costing half as much but am now far, far happier with the results I am getting even though filming with a HD DSLR is much much harder than what I was used to with the HVX200. I just came back from a HD DSLR shoot today and I am exhausted BUT I think I got some great stuff.

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Nov 5, 2010 at 2:49:21 am

as someone who has shot many videos, ill have to totally agree with Steve. However Steve, i have no intention of selling my HVX. Too useful a camera. And i've already invested heavily in P2. i wanna upgrade to a 370 but i dont see a reason just yet.

HVX200, RED ONE, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Nov 5, 2010 at 2:44:07 am

I too have an HVX200 but i usually use it with a Letus Extreme for extra depth of field. And recently ordered a D7000 (waiting for delivery). Has anyone done DOF adapters and an HDSLR ? how does that match ? From the images ive seen from DSLR's, i think their images will be a bit sharper than the HVX. What do you guys think ?

HVX200, RED ONE, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Nov 5, 2010 at 4:24:15 pm

@Nigel,

I knew I should have pre-ordered that camera (D7000) they are sold out everywhere!!

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Nov 5, 2010 at 5:08:00 pm

[Nigel Thompson] "I too have an HVX200 but i usually use it with a Letus Extreme for extra depth of field"

I too have that exact equipment. But i am afraid t2i will be much sharper than hvx-letus combination. I have done some tests & its quite a bit of difference between the two.

However that being said, i have not tried any in-camera tricks(i.e lowering sharpness)on the T2i.May be that can help to match the two!

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:48:56 am

Nigel Thomson: "Has anyone done DOF adapters and an HDSLR ?"

Yup. Ex3 with Letus Extreme, swapping to a 550D/T2i when we lost the light. Awesome results all round.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 5, 2010 at 9:13:04 am

I have no experience with the Panasonic, but had to mix progressive HDV footage of a Sony V1 and footage of a 7D in some projects recently, which was quite a lot of post-production work and everything but easy.
IMHO it can be done and will look o.K., but in the end, we decided to get another DSLR (the T2i) next to the 7D for our next projects.
I edited the projects and then color-correct and match the footage completely in After Effects. The blending modes of AE (especially "soft light") helped a lot, to get the camcorder footage look more like the DSLR footage.
More than once, I had to break down the picture quality of the Canon footage, to match the Sony footage, and that was really ... um... annoying.
I think the Panasonic footage will look closer to the DSLR footage, than the Sony HDV footage does, but nevertheless will lead to massive post-work and eventually in a compromise in picture quality.

As mentioned before, with proper planning (close-ups with the DSLR, wider shots with the Panasonic, etc...) you'd get away with lesser work in post, but still have a lot of work to do.

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:53:45 pm

That is exactly what I was afraid of. I don't want to create any more work than I have to by my choice of cameras for this project. I am being told by the owner of the Canon 5D to go with his camera since the chip is bigger than the one in the HVX. So I may just stick with one brand of cameras.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 8, 2010 at 8:36:52 pm

Take a look at this recent post:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/280/3658

Dylan Hargreaves has an other experience with matching footage. Maybe he's got other advice

Return to posts index

Santos Key
on Dec 7, 2011 at 12:08:21 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to mix video from an HVX200 and an HXV200 with a Letus 35 adapter. When should I use both, and how is it best to mix video from the two, if at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]