FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolution of off-camera monitors

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Connoly
Resolution of off-camera monitors
on Nov 2, 2010 at 12:38:21 am

Most small monitors I've seen, even expensive ones, have a resolution lower than the LCD on my DSLR. Why would that be helpful? Shouldn't the resolution of the external monitor be 1080p or at least 720p to be useful?

Return to posts index

Mark Roberts
Re: Resolution of off-camera monitors
on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:39:22 am

While not quite what you're talking about, did you see the Zacuto EVF?

They claim it's high enough resolution. Shrug. I have a Z-finder and adding that EVF would be awesome. Of course, I don't have their rigs or really the $800 bucks I'd have to throw away on it, but it'd sure be nice.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:44:46 am

Even on a (SD) TV screen you'd be able to see more, than on that tiny LCD on your DSLR. Especially focussing will be a lot easier on a bigger screen, even if it has a lower resolution.
It's not only res, that counts, it's also how color shows up etc...

At least, that's what I think.

Return to posts index

Caspian Brand
on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:23:17 am

I recently did a shoot with a 5DMKII and a 60D, and found to my dismay that while in Record, the HDMI output of these particular cameras is reduced to 480p, and some monitors, like the Marshall V-LCD651STX-HDMI we got our hands on for the weekend, will squash the image making it nearly impossible to gauge focus. No matter what settings we put the monitor in, as soon as the camera was in record, the image was squashed as the camera switched to 480p output.

I would like to think that even at a reduced overall resolution, as long as it fills up the screen of the montior without squashing, it would provide better focus reference than the smaller LCD on the camera?

I would hope that Marshall's 7" Widescreen models of camera top LCD would maintain the proper aspect ratio when the cameras are in record. Anyone have any experience with these monitors and cameras? or have advice on good monitors to use with either of these cameras?

It seems most LCD monitors that mount to the camera have a max of 480p anyway. Personally I'm looking for the flexibility of a camera mount monitor to assist with obscure camera angles and moves that may be more difficult to reference with an EVF.

But then I stumbled across these guys in North Carolina:

http://www.smallhd.com/Products/DP6.html

Looks promising for higher resolution monitoring with cameras that support it, like I've heard the 7D does...anyone know if it's output is 1080p or 720p during record?

-Caspian

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 4, 2010 at 1:26:48 pm

You are confusing the output of the HDMI with the resolution of the panel on back

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]