FORUMS: list search recent posts

log and transfer issues in FCP 7.0 with 5D footage

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Tingle
log and transfer issues in FCP 7.0 with 5D footage
on Nov 1, 2010 at 8:26:50 pm

I was recently transcoding some 5D footage from my hard drive using the log and transfer window I FCP 7. It all seemed to be working fine but I had to force quit to attend to something else that came up last minute. Now when I attempt to re-import the footage using the log and transfer, FCP does not recognize the footage. I'm attaching a sreen shot of the error message. It's a file that is about 4GB in size.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Omar Itani
Re: log and transfer issues in FCP 7.0 with 5D footage
on Nov 2, 2010 at 4:21:37 am

did you convert the footage before you imported it?

Return to posts index

Caspian Brand
Re: log and transfer issues in FCP 7.0 with 5D footage
on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:31:51 am

Are you importing the footage from a disk image of the original CF Card you shot on?
or
Did you copy it's .MOV and .THM files to another hard drive?

I've found that FCP and the EOS Plug-In prefer to look at a disk image. When offloading cards I will mount the CF card on the desktop, rename it something unique for that shooting session (akin to a tape name), then open Disk Utility and create a Compressed Image of the CF card on my media hard drive. This way when I run Log and Transfer, it sees the device it's expecting and properly transcodes the files, adding the Time of Day Time Code stamps and so on.

If you copied the files to a hard drive without creating a disk image of the CF card first, then you can trick it by first freeing up space on a CF Card, copying the directories and media files back, and then creating an image from the now full CF Card. Repeat the process for how ever many disk images you need to temporarily store all the media for imaging.

-Caspian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]