FORUMS: list search recent posts

THM files

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenny Morgan
THM files
on Feb 4, 2010 at 11:59:44 am

As any 7D user knows, there is a file that follows the .MOV file called a THM file. Obviously, this is a Thumbnail file. Does anyone know about any mission critical reasons to keep this disk space thief around, or can I trash them?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: THM files
on Feb 4, 2010 at 12:21:01 pm

[Jenny Morgan] "s disk space thief"

Excuse me?
24 KB per piece.
That means that on a standard DVD you can put about 180000 of them.
Will set you back a hefty 50 cent plus 10 minutes of your time.
How much do you shoot that this gets an issue?

The file contains a thumbnail image, and a lot of information about your camera, yourself and the settings how you shot the image.
(Of course in some intsances you want to trash them, not to show your client that you did not use manual settings...)

They also contain the time the image is shot. For video, that can be important if you want to sync later on.
I would always keep them, and let them travel with any processing you do on the image. Disk space is irrelevant, as the files are miniscule compared to even Jpeg images.

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:37:24 pm

It doesn't matter form the disk space point of view. I do, however, doubt these files carry any useful metadata. They are just thumbnails and if I'm not mistaken, you can delete them safely. They are cluttering your folders.

Image Capture on Mac OS doesn't even transfer them to your hard drive, and I have never seen any adverse effect.

Return to posts index

Guntis Muntis
on Aug 19, 2012 at 9:38:35 pm

I would actually recommend saving it. I know at least on 5Ds, the Canon FCP plugin uses them supposedly (according to Gearbox) as does Rarevisions’ 5DtoRGB.

It holds metadata/exif information about this video, this is not only simple thumbnail! Rename .THM file to .JPG open it and press cmd+i on mac or if you are on PC - go to properties, and you will find all shooting information like exposure, ISO, and all usual information.

This file is created because canon not write this information in to video, but create a seperate file - genius! Two in one!

hope this helps. ;)

Return to posts index

Guntis Muntis
on Aug 19, 2012 at 10:23:10 pm

P.S. .THM files also holds timecode data. so, in general .THM files are important and do not should be deleted!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]