FORUMS: list search recent posts

60D Auto-shutdown

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Haskell
60D Auto-shutdown
on Nov 1, 2010 at 1:21:14 am

I have been using the 60D for about 3 weeks and like it in the main…except that it repeatedly shuts down (presumably from over-heating) after several minutes. Specifically, I've been unable to shoot a clip longer than about 5 minutes in ambient temps of 60 - 70 degrees F. Nearly all of that has been indoors doing interviews.

I'm curious what the experience of others has been with this or similar cameras in automatically shutting down.

Thanks.

Russ

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: 60D Auto-shutdown
on Nov 1, 2010 at 3:06:13 am

It's not overheating. These cameras have record limits. Just push the record button twice to stop a clip, then re-record a new one

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Nov 1, 2010 at 12:24:32 pm

Thanks, Richard.

Still - doesn't maxing out in five minutes indicate something other than reaching a file size limitation? The manual notes the 4 GB limit and suggests the shooter should be able to get about 12 minutes of 1080p before that is reached.

I'll run some timed tests under different conditions and post results that are more specific.

Russ

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 1, 2010 at 1:02:55 pm

Try reformatting you card and see if that helps

Also check the quality/speed of your cards

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Mark Roberts
on Nov 1, 2010 at 1:48:38 pm

Are all the file sizes exactly the same size at 4gb?

If not then there is some other reason it's shutting down. My T2i has run well over that, 8-9 minutes at 24p and not hit the max file size.

Return to posts index

Will Eccleston
on Nov 26, 2010 at 10:45:19 pm

p. 173 of the manual. The 60D will, in fact, terminate shooting a movie automatically if the internal temp reaches a certain point. A thermometer icon will blink white and then red as the temp approaches the limit, then it will cancel shooting, and will not shoot again until below a certain temp.

Will Eccleston
Kinetiscape Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]