FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR lenses - starting off

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Markus Krug
DSLR lenses - starting off
on Oct 31, 2010 at 6:13:38 pm

Hi,
im a film student and I decided to invest in a 7d canon, as a cheaper student priced technology that has decent quality. Im very new to dslr video so please help me out. Which two lenses should I invest in to begin with if I only want to focus on the HD video function. Thank you for your help.
Markus Krug

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
Re: DSLR lenses - starting off
on Oct 31, 2010 at 7:12:41 pm

Marcus

You need to say what you plan to shoot?

In my opinion, if you are shooting a film or a music video or something that is staged, you can go for a 35mm f1.4 or a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 lens.

If you want to shoot an event you might want to have one wide angle and one of the above mentioned ones.

But at the end it all depends on what you need it for & how much money can you spend on these lenses.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Oct 31, 2010 at 9:25:09 pm

A wide aperture is important, the more light you can give the sensor the lower the iso you can use and get less digital noise on your footage in dimmer light. I have the Canon 50mm f1.4 and I'm thinking of getting a wide prime as well.

My Website

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 31, 2010 at 10:12:06 pm

Personally unless you need weather resistant body I would save the $600-700 and get the 60D. Put that toward the lens purchased. The 60D's ability to go manual audio is a good thing to have. The 7D's only pluses over the 60D is a little better build, nothing in quality of the image.

Two lenses if hard to have all you need, it is a compromise. if you go with primes a wide and a 50mm gives you a good start but you will also need a telephoto in many cases, to get a real tight CU with a 50mm means you have to get right up on a person. For a really versatile lens I would get the 24-105mm f4 with IS. Then get the 50mm f1.4 for super low light and shallow dof. Then look at a 10-20 mm wide and if needed a stronger tele.

F4 is a comprise but you can get shallow dof if you use the higher end of the lens but the IS will be a welcomed feature without braking the bank (about a $1050 for the lens)

No right or wrong here just what makes more sense for the $ you got to spend. For primes I have old Nikon lenses with adapters, A 28 f2.8, 50 f1.5 and a 135 f2.8, each with its won adapter, don't even have $250 in the set and are great video lenses.

Return to posts index

Fred Robinson
on Nov 1, 2010 at 8:51:40 am

I totally agree with the 50mm f1.4 recommendation and have in fact used this lens to good effect on a recent movie that was shot on a 5DMkii. Below is a link to a trailer. All these clips were shot with the 50mm because I was mostly working in low-light conditions. Incidentally, I also have the L-series 50mm f1.2. Do not bother. For the wide open shots, the 1.4 is sharper and has lower CA!!

On the APS-size sensor cameras though I might instead go for a 35mm anyway.

I agree that the 24-105 is versatile zoom-wise, but f4 is not very useful unless you'll be in good daylight for the things you intend to film.

Good luck.

Fred

Return to posts index

Markus Krug
on Nov 1, 2010 at 8:39:24 pm

Thank you,
these tips were more than helpfull. It is amazing that you offer help instantly. I think I will start of with the 50mm f1.4 and see what I actually need. My student budget doesnt give me too much head space financially.
Fred Robinson: Thank You for the link. I am glad you decided to shoot in prague, because I live there myself and love the visuals of that city. :-)

Return to posts index

Markus Krug
on Nov 1, 2010 at 8:42:43 pm

PS: and the 35 mm as well.

Return to posts index

Fred Robinson
on Nov 2, 2010 at 7:42:48 am

Ah hah! A fellow budding film maker in Prague!! Excellent. So - let me know if you want to meet up for a beer and chat about SLR filming sometime.

Return to posts index

Markus Krug
on Nov 6, 2010 at 11:19:29 am

Sounds good. Let me know whenever yoou have a free day on a weekend.
markus.krug@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]