FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Photo Tripods

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Connoly
Using Photo Tripods
on Oct 30, 2010 at 11:35:21 pm

In the book, you guys mention video tripods a bit and then imply that a photo tripod will also do. What am I missing if I keep using my photo tripod with a fluid head?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Using Photo Tripods
on Oct 31, 2010 at 12:25:54 am

if the legs are firm and study that is all that matters, but if you intend to move the camera you need a good video head. They are making some less expensive fluid heads for smaller cameras like DSLRs. The problem you will run in to with a photo tripod is that a good video head is a ball type for easy and fast leveling and most photo tripods will not except them and you have to level with the legs.

But if you have something all ready and it does the job for you use it. It is really when you are buying new gear that you need to rethink what is most important for your current needs.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 31, 2010 at 1:25:44 am

They are pretty useless for shooting video shots with panning and tilting. if you want to do a lookoff fine, but a photo ball tripod head is very unsmooth and just not usable for video work.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Oct 31, 2010 at 1:39:15 am

I am talking just about the legs, not the head.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Oct 31, 2010 at 3:10:13 am

You can find tripod heads that are fluid heads that will work with photo style tripods. Look to the same manufacturer of your sticks as a starting point. Vendors like Adorama and BH carry a wide selection

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]