FORUMS: list search recent posts

Super Wide lenses for video

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Roberts
Super Wide lenses for video
on Oct 27, 2010 at 1:13:41 pm

Hi,

I've done some searching and such and while I've seen some recommendations for the Tokina 11-16 for Video, I'm still unsure if it's a wise choice.

I have a T2i and a Z-finder and have shot two vacations with my Tamron 18-270 with VC(Stablization) and the kit 18-55 with IS as well as a prime canon 50mm 1.8. The Tamron lens takes much better video and it will zoom nicely through the zoom even as the aperature clamps down. Beautiful stills too. It's a great walk around all purpose lens. It's not pro levels, but perfectly fine for what I need.

I've been asked to shoot some video of some speeches and some IDPA shoots(handgun shooting) and I need something a touch wider than 18mm on my crop sensor.

So I read that the IQ on the Tokina lens is good but it doesn't have stabilization, or does it and I just don't understand what Tokina calls it? VC for Tamron, IS for Canon, OC for Sigma, Tokina = ?? ?
My issue is that taking video during IDPA you need to move with the shooter and with no Stabilization I'm concerned. I really don't have a big budget since none of this is a paying gig.

I also take stills during the shoots so I need a DSLR. I'm mostly concerned about blurry video. I have a rig that holds the cam pretty stable so it doesn't shake much...I'm more worried about blurry.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Super Wide lenses for video
on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:13:45 pm

There doesn't seem to be much difference between 11 and 18mm - that's not enough of a difference for me to pay for especially when you consider you can just take a step back and get much the same result.

If you want to keep things in focus aka "not blurry" then you can always shoot with something like an F8 or F11 aperture which will give you a pretty deep depth of field. I just used an online depth of field calculator at http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html and found that if you are standing 10 feet away from the subject and film at F8 with an 18mm focal length than anything that is least 4-5 feet in front of you will be in focus. At F11 anything that is 3 feet away will be in focus so you're golden!

I'd look into getting a monopod with the little tripod legs at the bottom (Manfrotto sells a nice one) as that will allow you to move with the action freely yet remain very stable.

Return to posts index

Mark Roberts
on Oct 27, 2010 at 6:46:47 pm

Steve,

I do have a monopod already. I've just never shot any video handheld without Stabilization. When I used my 50mm lens it was on a tripod. Hmm, I guess I have an old 28-300 sigma lens that isn't stabilized that I could do some testing with. I guess I'm mostly concerned about how much shake the stabilization eliminates.

I also wanted to get a 2.8 lens that's nice and wide. I've had a number of different L lenses but nothing very wide. I really disliked my 70-200 F4L non IS. I used image plot the last 15000 shots I took, 80% were under 85mm and now with video, I'm finding wide just ain't wide enough!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 27, 2010 at 8:44:25 pm

[Mark Roberts] "Hmm, I guess I have an old 28-300 sigma lens that isn't stabilized that I could do some testing with"
Why not just turn off the stabilization of the lens you might use? That way you can do a run with it on and with it off, same scene, same lens setting, better test. Then test the unstable clips with SmoothCam or better yet Lock N Load.

For what I'm thinking you are trying to get is more like a steadicam shoot. Look into the Glidecam or other rigs. They take a lot of practice but for shoot like following a person they cannot be beat.

Return to posts index

Mark Roberts
on Oct 28, 2010 at 1:15:38 pm

Why not just turn off the stabilization of the lens you might use?

Duh, LOL. Right, I forgot.

I have a steady cam rig I made up that works pretty good but I have to hold it away from my body. I saw something on the web and went into the machine shop and built something. In the daylight I can't see the screen without the z-finder and that throws the balance way off anyway. I guess I need to experiment some this weekend and see what the difference is...if I can live without stabilization on the lens maybe that Tokina lens will work. It's true that I can just step back some, but sometimes I like being right up close without such a narrow focus.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 30, 2010 at 3:34:32 am

and sometimes taking two steps backwards gets you off a cliff. :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:25:31 pm

NO image stab on that lens.

There is also a bit of distortion, but anything this wide is going to have some. So your footage will have a level of "weirdness" to it. Not sure I would want to watch a lot of this type of footage for an extended period of time.

Also if the shooter is close to the lens the stuff they are shooting at is going to look like it is a mile away.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Oct 28, 2010 at 2:23:41 am

Michael

I am thinking of getting a 17-55mm EF-S 2.8 for my T2i.I plan to use T2i with a glidecam. I mostly do wedding work.

Do you think this a wide enough lense to go on a glidecam?

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:53:41 am

You should definitely check out StillMotion a wedding video agency really known for cinematic DSLR work - here are my notes on their specific lens recommendations as explained in a video they made on the topic. You will see they mostly recommend the uses of primes expect for one zoom they really like:

StillMotion Lens Recommendations

For 7D on Steadicam

PRIME: Canon 14mm 2.8L II USM rectilinear - 3 foot hyperfocal distance

On Monopod

50mm

35mm - goes great with the 7D 35mm 1.4L USM

85mm 1.2L USM on the 7D shooting at 1.2 when you know exactly what the subject is going to be doing and movement is more constrained

135mm F2.0 L USM (they used a camera with a 1.3 crop factor when making this recommendation so the effective focal length is 175.5 - therefore for my T2i with a 1.7 crop factor I would want to be closer to a 103mm - for instance Canon has an EF 100mm F.2 USM that sells for about $430)

ONLY ZOOM RECOMMENDATION

70-200 F2.8L USM with the Canon 7D

StillMotionBlog.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 30, 2010 at 3:32:57 am

I thing for shooting people moving in a scene you wouldn't want to go wider. But that is really up to you. If you are getting that lens try it out but that is a pretty wide lens for video. If you need wider than you look at your different options. If you keep the lens stopped down a bit, f5.6-8 you will get some serious depth of field.

While I have a couple of primes I shoot 95% of my stuff with zooms, 24-105 f4, not that I do any zoom but coming from a video camera background, I crop with my zoom. Taking 2 steps forward or backwards is not always an option. So I like the versatility of a zoom. If I would shoot more movie still things I would lean more towards primes (when I had complete control of the situation) but for event or documentaries I would almost always go with zooms. Unless I had to go wider than a f2.8. But once again this is what I like and the way I want to work.

Return to posts index

Garrett Gibbons
on Nov 5, 2010 at 9:59:51 pm

My 2 cents:

There is a beautiful and unique quality to 11mm on a APS-C sensor (or ~18 on a full-frame). While not advisable for close-ups and glamor shots, it gives you a very dramatic look that is excellent for particular applications. Vanishing points, field of view, and of course depth of field are all enormously different on the Tokina 11-16 at 11mm than you would find on the wide end of the Canon 17-40 or 18-55.

See some examples of the 11mm at a wedding

I shot that heavily uses the Tokina 12-24mm at 12mm.

As always, if you're thinking about lenses, just pay $50 for a rental on borrowlenses.com or lensrentals.com. Definitely worth it!

http://www.garrettgibbons.com

Return to posts index

Mark Roberts
on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:48:03 am

Has anyone here picked up any of those Zeiss lenses?

I see BH has a 35mm F2 for 1004 bucks. Distagon 35mm T* f/2 ZE Lens for Canon EF Mount Cameras. I'd rather have 18mm but for superb glass at F2 I could probably live with 35mm. Manual focus but no big deal.

I was also looking at that Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L but it's almost $1420. It'd take me a while to get that much put together without the wife noticing. heh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]