FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to sync one audio track with multiple video clips

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Connoly
How to sync one audio track with multiple video clips
on Oct 23, 2010 at 1:40:21 am

I recorded a single audio clip on my Zoom H1 for about 30 minutes.

During that time I did a number of clips with the video camera, each a couple of minutes long.

Can I sync one audio clip to the various video clips, so that whenever I grab a chunk of video the right audio clip travels with it?

I am using Premiere Pro CS5; I do not have Plural Eyes.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: How to sync one audio track with multiple video clips
on Oct 23, 2010 at 3:46:35 am

It will require a little work but it is not too bad.

Lay your solid audio in Tracks 3 and 4 and turn on the wave form. (thinking that is an option in PP)

Then listen to the clip and find the rough spot in the full audio and give the video and camera audio (to a1 and a2) then use match up the waveforms between camera and H1 audio. To get it perfect I listen to all 4 tracks and move the video w/ camera audio back and forth until there is no echo, when they blend it is in sync. Do that for each clip. You should be able to fly through this.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Oct 23, 2010 at 4:28:54 am

I was able to synchronise 4 video clips to the audio clip, but I can only link one of the video clips to the audio clip.

Here are my tracks:

I have one stereo audio track with my main audio.

I have one video track with a clip that is linked to the audio.

I have a second video track that has three more video clips in the right sequence, but they are not linked to the audio and can be moved freely.

I can't figure out how to move those three video clips into my other video clip and prevent them from moving around.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 23, 2010 at 2:02:46 pm

I made a couple of music videos in the last years, and had to sync about four or five video tracks to one audio track (the playback music). I edited those clips in CS3, so the workflow will be similar in CS5, I think.

I put every clip on a separate layer and synched it by audio (which you can do via the waveform, as Michael suggested) or if you have the same clip from different angles recorded with different cameras you can do this e.g. through the picture itself (e.g. the blink of an eye).

Then group the audio and video layers together, so video and audio won't get unsynched anymore, when dragging it around.

Maybe you can work with the muliple-camera option, which I haven't tried yet.

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 23, 2010 at 8:13:13 pm

You turn off all the camera audio and export a solid clip with the new video and master audio. Of course you can trim any dead space in the audio without video.

If you want to merge clips and audio you need to be stoping and starting the audio with the camera. Also consider using a clapper of some kind and syncing is even quicker.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Oct 24, 2010 at 12:57:58 pm

I like to keep the audio running for a bunch of reasons. For example, say you're taping a concert that's longer than the time limit of your DSLR video. How else do you deal with that situation?

Since Premiere Pro has this limitation, would you recommend breaking up the WAV or MP3 files so that they correspond to the video? What's the best Adobe Creative Suites tool for that?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 24, 2010 at 8:58:36 pm

I would export the sequence out as a new clip to lock all the video sections in place with the master audio. Much cleaner to then use this for your editing clip.

THis is a workflow issue so there doesn't have to be a right or wrong, just does it work for you, I like creating a new master clip because it is the safest way to deal with it IMO.

I don't think this is a limitation in PP, FCP couldn't merge multi clips to an audio source either.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Oct 25, 2010 at 6:07:18 am

It feels like a limitation to me, but I wasn't compare to FCP.

Btw, even syncing one audio and video clip is kind if clunky because you end up with a Sequence rather than a clip. Clips are much easier for me to work with.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 24, 2010 at 1:07:25 pm

Well, what you could do - I do it rarely, because I had some stability problems with Premiere - is to sync every clip with that piece of audio that fits in a separate sequence and then create a "master sequence" where you put the synched clips in. They will be treated by Premiere like video clips. Since CS4 there is the option to nest audio and video clips directly from the timeline to a new sequence

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Oct 25, 2010 at 4:08:39 am

Thank you all for your input. This has been a great exercise to learn to work with PP. It sounds like there are a couple of ways to work with this. For now, I've decided to sync each video clip with the audio clip separately and save each combo of video + audio as a separate sequence. In the future, I might end up exporting each sequence into a new clip. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

David Dobson
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:01:46 am

How did that work out? I am about to embark on a DLSR Edit and don;t like that my synced source will be sequences. I got Pluraleyes but I'm thinking Dualeyes might have been a better choice as it creates new clips - of course then there is all the extra media to contend with...just have rarely edited from sequences - so much harder to organize - no subclips - have to copy and paste to be able to see waveforms.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Nov 20, 2010 at 2:45:41 pm

David-

I am not sure why I was hung up over this. What I do now is very simple: if I have 4 video clips that go with a single audio clip all I do is sync each video clip with the audio clip separately and trim the edges. Sometimes I also create a sequence with the whole package in case for some reason I need to use all of the audio uninterrupted (in which case I'll fill in the video gaps with other stuff). I can also see the value of exporting the sequence to a new file, but I haven't had to do that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]