FORUMS: list search recent posts

What Nikon Lenses (old non-zoom) work with EOS T2i?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Darius
What Nikon Lenses (old non-zoom) work with EOS T2i?
on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:20:34 am

I was trying to do research on using older, nikon manual lenses since, I heard canon FD glass is not so sharp. What I would love to know is, which type of nikon glass can I use with an adapter? and what do I look for?

I want some primes, like a 24 or 85. Can anybody tell me what leses work with a T2i (550d)? And what adapter I should get? I know the auto focus or IS lenses, I believe you can't use. But, I'm confused what lens I can buy, and what adapter to use for them.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: What Nikon Lenses (old non-zoom) work with EOS T2i?
on Oct 22, 2010 at 3:35:47 am

You can use any Canon EOS lens on the T2i, the IS lens are great for video.

Nikon manual lenses just need a Nikon to EOS adapter.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Oct 22, 2010 at 7:04:48 am

Fotodiox make high quality adaptors for various lenses.

Canon FD to Canon EOS are according to Philip Bloom not so sharp due the need for optical glass in the adaptor.

I'm very successfully using these adaptors for my 20 year old Mamiya 645 and Pentax SMC K mount lenses.
A friend is using Nikons successfully (with a mod that removes the clicks from the iris giving smooth iris pulls for video work).

Being manual iris and focus with definite stops at the ends of the focus range they are very video friendly. Nikon lens focus in the reverse direction to Canon though.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Oct 22, 2010 at 1:48:23 pm

I use Nikon manual AI lenses on a 7D with an Ebay adaptor, they are very good. Nikon lenses also have a hard stop on the focus wheel, unlike Canon lenses, so you do know when you have arrived at the end of the focus.

My Website

Return to posts index

Joshua Klinkenberger
on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:48:11 pm

Ah, I was just saying in another post - I use Nikon primes with my 7D, the adapters should work just the same on your Canon.

I use the 'Cinevate Inc' Nikon to EOS adapters for my lenses. They're about $40 a pop, pretty nice construction. The adapters fit VERY snug on the Nikon lenses - so I bought eight of them and bought 8 Canon Rear-lens caps (Adorama brand looks nice and are only 4 bucks ea.). Now I can just leave the all the adapters on all the Nikon lenses and can quickly switch lenses. It is a bit extra money (and you may have to wait to get 3 or more like I did; backorder) but the money you save on those old Nikon primes easily makes up for it. Again, you wont want to be putting these Cinevate adapters on and off; it's really hard! Don't under estimate it, not only are they snug, but the little button (locking pin release) on the adapter is hard to press while turning the adapter because it's so small. The only reason I ever take the adapters off is to occasionally use the lenses on my Nikon D2H or D90.

As for what lenses to get, go for the 50mm, 24/28mm,35mm, 85mm, 105mm - probably in that order. Those will cover a good range and 50mm is the best in low light (for the money) and also the cheapest lens (because they made hundred's of thousands of them). The 85mm lens, if you get a fast one, will be your most expensive lens early on. Make sure you shop around and wait for a deal (Adorama and B&H and trusted sites and have great 'used' selections). Once you get the basic lens set, you can get some higher end stuff like macro lenses, high zoom lenses (I might start saving for the EF 400f4, but probably not haha), Canon EF lenses, etc.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Oct 23, 2010 at 4:44:45 pm

I have multiple old Nikon lenses (from several different manufacturers) You need a ring to control F-stop.

I've also used Photdiox adpaters and quite happy. Duclos in Hollywood can mod the lenses too.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Jul 29, 2011 at 7:40:43 pm

Is there an adaptor that does give you more control on an old AI lens? I ordered n ebay model... $14 and of course it gives me 00 on aperture. I can use zebras when shooting video to adjust exposure pretty nicely.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]