FORUMS: list search recent posts

Treat Your Canon 50mm 1.4 Lens CAREFULLY

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Crow
Treat Your Canon 50mm 1.4 Lens CAREFULLY
on Oct 21, 2010 at 3:26:45 pm

I just had to return for repairs a Canon 50mm 1.4 for warranty repair when the focus ring suddenly stopped working. The lens was only 5-6 weeks old and was kept in professional, padded camera bag the whole time. Now I mostly keep the lens attached to the camera when I put the unit back into my bag - I don't know if this had anything to do with it - but bottom line I have found several sources on the net saying this is a very common issue.

Just be careful but not paranoid - you have to use the lens in order to have any fun with it! :-)

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
Re: Treat Your Canon 50mm 1.4 Lens CAREFULLY
on Oct 22, 2010 at 1:49:22 pm

Thanks I wasn't aware of this problem.

My Website

Return to posts index

Joshua Klinkenberger
on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:26:39 pm

Wow!I can't believe that is common for Canon glass.

I use a full set of Nikon primes on a 7D and they where made in the 1970s and 80s and work flawlessly. Some have some loose/stiff focusing but once the follow-focus is attached you can barely notice. I know the lenses they make today (Canon and Nikon) are very nice but I do prefer the older lenses that use a lot more metal rather than plastic. I already dropped my 18-55 kit lens and cracked it good. O and the older lenses typically have manual iris rings as well, which I like. Only downside is no auto-focus (when using Nikon lenses on 7D) but I don't do any event-projects anyway.

I was interested in getting some Canon primes for photographic reasons (auto-focus would be nice!). Is Canon fixing the lens for free?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 22, 2010 at 7:33:07 pm

It does appear so - at least they haven't asked for my credit card info yet!

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 23, 2010 at 1:50:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I only have only have two Canon lenses, one is the 50 1.8 which is the plastic one... I'll have to be even more carfeluf with that one, I guess...

Return to posts index

Joshua Klinkenberger
on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:22:26 am

Good deal from Canon then. I haven't had to send anything into Canon yet, but I sent my old (2003) Nikon D2H to Nikon to get an estimate on refurbishing it and getting some errors fixed in the hardware (one of which was common) and 3 weeks later I got the camera back completely refurbished and fixed. All the grips were replaced, the main circular button that was broken was replaced, the D2H shutter issue was corrected, the memory card door was replaced, everything professionally cleaned, and a few other things all for free! Not only is the camera long out of warranty, but it was returned in only three weeks! I was just expecting an e-mail saying the price in three weeks, not the camera! Maybe the fact that it was originally a $3-4K camera but it's still nice to see them take care of a customer like that; Canon included (based on your experience).

Return to posts index

Richard Canino
on Oct 23, 2010 at 3:06:43 pm

I don't know what's "common for Canon" but I've had a 50 1.4 for years and it's a workhorse. It takes all kinds of abuse and never misses a beat. Nothing personal to the OP but to me this sounds like a case of "I had a problem with one ____ (whatever) therefore all of them are no good."

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 23, 2010 at 5:05:18 pm

No offense taken Richard. The Canon repair center was certainly familiar with this issue which has been talked about on several different camera forums. However, to your point, 99% of the lenses are probably perfectly fine but when you are manufacturing thousands upon thousands of these lenses even a very small percentage of bad copies still mean several hundred people are going to experience the issue but that is balanced by the tens of thousands that will find the lenses a workhorse.

I certainly never meant to imply that all of them are no good.

Return to posts index

Richard Canino
on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:24:22 am

hey Steve - thanks - I'm afraid my remark came across somewhat condescending to you and I didn't mean to be at all. I know that even a tiny percentage of substandard lenses that make their way into the market represents thousands of users. I'm sorry you were one of them this time around. I'm sure Canon will do its best to fix your lens for free, though of course nothing compensates you for the aggravation of buying a lemon.

I hadn't heard anything about this before I read your post. I visit the-digital-picture.com frequently but that's the only photography forum I read regularly. The gentleman who runs it, together with the forum members are a pretty astute bunch, but of course I may have missed it, or they may have.

In any case I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with one of my favorite lenses. I hope Canon takes care of you and provides an expedient solution.

-Richard

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 1, 2010 at 9:50:25 pm

Update:

Canon fixed my lens under warranty, I only had to pay for return shipping which Canon doesn't cover - it came to $17

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]