FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tokina 12-24mm F4 any good?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Tokina 12-24mm F4 any good?
on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:10:36 am

I realise the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 is the ultra wide everybody is recommending but I was wondering what people thought of the 12-24mm F4 for video. It is can be got for significantly less and has a larger zoom range.

Regards,
Ben

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Tokina 12-24mm F4 any good?
on Oct 21, 2010 at 3:23:08 pm

Yeah but with a 4.0 aperture that's going to make getting the "shallow depth of field" look much harder but certainly not impossible. Yes you pay a huge premium for "fast" glass (why do they call a lens "fast" when they mean it has low apertures like 1.4, 1.8, 2 something?) but then again it's an investment you make once and keep for years.

I have started to think more about only buying lens designed for full frame sensors even though I shoot with a crop sensor. The reason is that it future-protects me once I can afford the full frame camera body. In the meantime I will have to deal with some vignetting and certainly much higher prices but it could very well be worth every penny.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 22, 2010 at 3:41:24 am

People are not normally using 11 or 12mm lenses for shallow depth of field. Unless the focused subject is extremely close to the lens it is hard to shallow dof. Constant apertures are a most in video since you really don't have shutter speed to work with to balance exposure so you have to change ISO or use a Variable ND filter.

Return to posts index

Matt Darius
on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:22:37 am

I heard if you were going to be doing any zooming during a shot, this lens has a constant aperture, so it wil work like a video lens in that sense. But, honestly, the little subtle movements on a DSLR show up in your video.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:32:20 am

Yes, exactly, you want a "constant aperture" lens if you are going to be doing any filming while zooming and also so that you can have a more "open" aperture throughout the whole range of focal lengths (mm)

DSLRs are notoriously hard to keep stable since they are so light - the more you zoom in the more impossible it becomes to hold a shot steady handheld. That's where some kind of mounting system, ie a tripod, rail system or slider comes in to give us that stability but still allowing movement

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
on Nov 3, 2010 at 7:34:43 pm

I have the 12-24 Tokina F4 for my wide range, and I'm happy with it. It's built well, and for my uses (cars, mostly moving) I'm looking to have more in focus, thus ultimately eliminating the need for faster glass.

What do you shoot? This could certainly help answer your question. The lens works great for my subjects.

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

Garrett Gibbons
on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:31:27 pm

I've used the Tokina 12-24 f/4 and the 11-16 f/2.8 and both are excellent, built like tanks, and have a great look to them.

Here's a music video I shot mostly with the 12-24:

The one advantage of the 12-24 over the 11-16 (besides $100 in price) is the fact that 24mm is almost usable for portraits and people, whereas 16mm is still so absurdly wide for a close-up that you need to have a very stylized look in mind. The 12-24 is therefore a bit more versatile. Both are excellent, and I prefer either over the more-expensive Canon EF-S 10-22.

http://www.garrettgibbons.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]