FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon video lens on a DSLR

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Gruszczynski
Canon video lens on a DSLR
on Oct 20, 2010 at 6:19:03 pm

Hi,
We have a Canon J15x9.5b4 lens and we would like to know if that lens could somehow be used on a Canon 7D or 5D. Is there some type of adaptor out there? Is it worth even trying?
Thanks!

Laura

Return to posts index

Peter Rummel
Re: Canon video lens on a DSLR
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:11:49 pm

The video cameras this lens was designed for has 3 CCD chips, while a DSLR has a single sensor. These chips on a video camera are all slightly different distances from the lens - so the lens focuses the colors at different planes. Using your video zoom on a DSLR would cause severe chromatic abberation. So the answer is no, you can't use this lens with your DSLR.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:16:29 pm

That'd be a negative.

Even if you managed to physically adapt the lens to fit the camera, the image circle the lens produces would never cover the sensor of a 7D or especially a 5D. It would give you a tiny circle of an image with a large black vignette all around. And, even if it DID cover, it'd look very poor. That lens is optimized for three 2/3" CCDs, not one large CMOS sensor. Would it work for a newer HD ENG camera? Most likely, but not on a Canon DSLR.

I've seem some B4 lenses adapted to the Panasonic GH1 DSLR, but it has a smaller sensor than the 7D and it also has a shorter flange focal distance which allows just about any lens to "fit" with enough esoteric adapters. And, I'm pretty sure they're using a 2x focal extender switched on to make those lenses cover without vignetting, which I don't think your lens has.

That's a long way of saying it won't work.

Return to posts index

Laura Gruszczynski
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:29:33 pm

Thanks!
I appreciate that.

Laura

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]