FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workaround for DSLR Monitoring

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sohrab Sandhu
Workaround for DSLR Monitoring
on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:21:50 pm

I was recenlty at a wedding where the Videographer was using 5D in combination with Steadicam Pilot. He did not have the pilot monitor on and instead had a very unique solution for monitoring what he was shooting.

He had taken the glass casing off the LCD. So the actual picture was half an inch inside the camera housing, crisp & clear.

Has anybody tried this? Do you think it is something that can work? Whats ur opinion?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Workaround for DSLR Monitoring
on Oct 18, 2010 at 8:48:09 pm

Number one- probably voids your warranty. Number two- much much easier to scratch and permanently damage the screen. Number three- why not use a nice after market viewfinder adapter such as the Zacuto Z-Finder instead?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Errol Lazare
on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:39:34 pm

I am not sure why you would want to take the glass off. I don't see any benefits. There is more of a risk that something like a scratch will hit the screen.

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Oct 19, 2010 at 2:31:16 am

[Errol Lazare] "I am not sure why you would want to take the glass off. I don't see any benefits"

Removing the glass removes the glare from the screen & makes it easier to shoot outdoors.

Noah

Viewfinders are ok but you can't use them with a steadicam or a glidecam.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:09:32 am

Can't understand why someone first of all would risk the damage to the camera, scratching, dirt etc.

Also can't understand why you'd attempt to operate a Steadicam Pilot like that. The moment you attempt to pan you lose full view of the viewfinder. What happens if you want to do a "Don Juan" move where you walk or run in front of the subject with the camera pointing back over your shoulder, or walk parallel with camera at 90 degrees to your body tracking the subject. Can't see the finder.

"What's my opinion"? - Pointless (and a dumb idea).

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]