FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon T2i lens recommendation

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat McGowan
Canon T2i lens recommendation
on Oct 12, 2010 at 3:29:56 pm

I have a T2i and I want to buy a telephoto lens, any recommendations for video applications?

email me at patm@inmotion.ca

Thanks

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: Canon T2i lens recommendation
on Oct 12, 2010 at 3:35:27 pm

Do you have a budget in mind?

This would be my choice, had I the means and need for one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/91680-USA/Canon_2569A004_70_200mm_f_2...

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on Oct 12, 2010 at 5:23:57 pm

What is your budget? Will you be shooting handheld or mostly on a tripod?

If you are shooting ANY hand held at all with a telephoto lens, it is CRUCIAL that you get a lens with image stabilization. It makes all the difference in the world.

Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS or Canon 70-200 f4 L would both be great, but if you are on a tighter budger, canon also offers slower IS telephoto lenses.

This lens would be a starting point..but it isn't nearly as sharp as the 2 I just mentioned:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_7...

Brian

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
on Oct 12, 2010 at 8:32:35 pm

I'm with Brian on the IS. If you're getting a telephoto, you really need it. If you get a zoom, make sure it's a constant aperture.

Bill Doyle

Return to posts index

Ronnie Whitting
on Oct 13, 2010 at 12:15:27 am

The Telephoto Lens from Canon 28 to 135mm is a great lens for HD Video.
It has a built in stabelizer that makes a big difference.

Ron Whitting Executive producer-Owner
A.F. Productions / AFP-HD
Tyler, Texas

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 13, 2010 at 8:30:59 pm

but it is slow.

But for people to ask what lens? without giving a description of what they are shoot and what they spend, most people just through out lenses that they have or would like to have. The 135mm maybe great but but not very effective if you need a 200 or 300mm. The 70-200 f2.8 IS is great but not if you only have $300 to spend.

Pat, if you want real answers you need to give real uses and budget.

As others have stated, the rule of thumb, faster-constaint adapters (f2.8 or f4) are best, IS is a must for telephoto handheld shooting. Combine the two and you are looking at expensive glass but well worth it.

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Oct 14, 2010 at 3:07:20 pm

I am going to be shooting some video of wildlife and can spend up to $1500 for a telephoto zoom lens. We have Canon 17-55 2.8 already and it is pretty decent.

Pat McGowan
President, inMotion DVS Inc.
Ottawa, Canada
Sony PMW350K, 2 Sony EX-3s, Sony EX-1
Final Cut Pro (6 seats), CS5 (4 seats), C4D
Small-Tree GraniteSTOR 32TB RAID

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 14, 2010 at 3:55:04 pm

Good thing is with the T2i you have the 1.6x factor so the 70-200 gives you a 320mm field of view. But I think you really need at least the 2.8 IS which is about $2K, next is going to the f4 IS which is in your price range. When shooting at dawn and dusk you will miss that extra stop of light. Also with the 2.8 later on you can get the 1.4x tele-convertor which will get you a 280mm f4 lens. I'm always thinking long term.

Return to posts index

Herbie Berger-Hershkowitz
Re: Canon T2i lens recommendation for video
on Oct 23, 2011 at 3:10:15 pm

Hi. I'm using a Canon T2i to shoot HD video of my daughter's soccer games. I'm not a professional but I'd like the quality to be pretty good. Lighting conditions will vary. I use a tripod and whenever possible stand above the action on a hill. The action is generally at least 30 yards and not more than 175 yards away. Currently, I'm using a Tokina 28-105mm but I'd like to have more telephoto capability and don't need so much wide angle capability. Unfortunately, my budget is limited - I'd like to stay under $300 but can go a little higher if it makes a significant difference. I would buy a used lens of I need to in order to get good quality within my budget.
Please forgive me if I'm not using the correct terminology - I'm pretty much a novice. Thanks much for any recommendations. Feel free to tell me if you don't think there's anything reasonable I can get in my price range.

Herbie

Return to posts index

Herbie Berger-Hershkowitz
PS: Canon T2i lens recommendation for video
on Oct 26, 2011 at 12:27:38 pm

[Herbie Berger-Hershkowitz] " my budget is limited - I'd like to stay under $300 but can go a little higher if it makes a significant difference. I would buy a used lens of I need to in order to get good quality within my budget."

PS: If my my purpose and my budget are mutually exclusive, I will rent, so please consider that if my miniscule budget is holding you back from making a lens recommendation.

Thanks again,
Herbie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]