FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing into FCP from Nikon D90

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Importing into FCP from Nikon D90
on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:39:41 pm

I have been using my Nikon D90 to shoot video all summer long and its working out pretty good. Can't wait for the Nikon D7000 to be released though!!! Anyway, I was told that if I hook my Nikon up to my computer that I should be able to do Log and Transfer capture like you would a P2 card. Is this true? I don't think it is because those Nikon files are AVI and need to be converted first. I usually use MPEG streamclip to convert them over to Apple ProRes422 then import those clips into FCP for editing. I am being told I can go straight from the camera to FCP...any truth in this?

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Importing into FCP from Nikon D90
on Oct 7, 2010 at 10:48:00 pm

Nope...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Oct 8, 2010 at 2:35:18 pm

Use compressor or MPEG stramclip

ProRes 720. Match fame rate. Avoid hq as overkill

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:26:33 pm

ProRes codecs aren't available to me using a G5 with FCPv5. They don't show up in the MpegSreamclip dialog. Any thought on that?
It was suggested that Apple PhotoJpeg or Apple Intermediate Codec would do the trick.

I'm new at this...using a D7000.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Feb 8, 2011 at 11:20:57 pm

The Apple Intermediate Codec I am told is what will do the trick if you don't have access to the ProRes codecs. I can't remember what FCP5 has now since I have been using FCP6 and 7, but if it has other HD codecs in the list like DVCPROHD or XDCAMHD etc, you can see if any of those will work. Find a codec that will allow for 1920x1080p.

Also take a look at the link below which is a thread from another forum where someone is having the same issue as you but they have a Canon 7D and are using FCP5. Since both cameras shoot 1920x1080 you should be able to do what is suggested there and see if it works for you. The ultimate thing to do is upgrade FCP to version 6 or 7 that way you have access to the newer codecs for HD editing.

http://www.be-mag.com/msgboard/showthread.php/23619-final-cut-pro-5-prores-....

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 8, 2011 at 11:31:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. BTW, my G5 is not an intel machine, which I believe is a requirement of FCP 6 and certainly 7. Xmas is around the corner and my birthday's even closer. I'll check out the other forum.
Again, thanks.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Feb 9, 2011 at 2:07:46 am

Actually nope. I am running FCP 6 on my Powermac G5 right now and I have FCP 7 on my Macbook Pro. FCP 6 is the end of the line for my G5 unless I upgrade that to a newer Mac Pro machine. Your welcome...hope you get the answers you need. So how do you like the Nikon D7000? I am considering getting one. I shoot with a D90 now.

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 9, 2011 at 2:16:28 am

Very interesting about FCP6...I really didn't think that was the case...but you know what...different configurations seem to respond differently to software upgrade and more specifically, how they're installed.

I like the D7000 very much...was using a couple of D200's for my work. Now, getting into video, I considered Canon but have way more Nikon equipment than I cared to walk from, hence the choice. I did decide immediately to get the battery grid to give the camera more weight and size...but it wasn't absolutely necessary.

While I'm here, I'm confused about shutter speeds...heard from everyone that sticking with 1/50 or 1/60 is key. If true, is shutter priority the ticket? Seems it messes too much with ISO and my beloved f2.8.
What's the story, if there is one?

Thanks.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Feb 12, 2011 at 7:34:36 am

Sorry to respond to you late. I tend to leave my shutter at 1/60 and then make adjustments from there. I always shoot Manual mode and hardly switch it off of that. I may play around with Shutter Priority sometime to see what kind of results I get.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]