FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rolling shutter. And video screens in shot

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mic Pool
Rolling shutter. And video screens in shot
on Oct 2, 2010 at 9:25:05 pm

I shot some excerpts of a theatre show today on a 7D. The show had a back projection screen and some 50" plasmas on stage being fed 720p footage from Mac video cards.

The footage had vertically scrolling bright patches in all the areas showing the screens.

I have shot lots of shows including on stage video screens on Sony z1s and the on screen stuff has always looked normal.

Am I right in thinking that these artefacts are caused by the rolling shutter?

Can they be fixed in post? How can I avoid the problem when shooting stage shoos in future.

Thanks

Mic

--
Best Regards
Mic Pool

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Rolling shutter. And video screens in shot
on Oct 3, 2010 at 3:26:01 am

Sounds more like your shutter speed was out of sync with the scanning rate of the displays. That's something you can typically easily see and correct for- as you shoot... Hard to say without seeing the shots, but no typically roll bars on monitors are not fixable. Well not unless you want to manually rotoscope those monitors out of your shots that is...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Mic Pool
Re: Rolling shutter. And video screens in shot
on Oct 3, 2010 at 10:49:29 am

I thought that was only the case with scanning display devices like CRT monitors particularly with interlaced feeds.

I don't recall having any issues shooting plasmas or LCD projectors synced at 75Hz on HDV cameras with a shutter speed of 1/50 (PAL 25fps 1080p)

I've got a plasma a 7D and an HDV camera in my studio so I'll shoot a couple of tests with the same shutter speeds.

--
Best Regards
Mic Pool

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]