FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD Card questions

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Simpson
SD Card questions
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:48:06 am

I know this info is out there but I'm having a hard time finding it.

I apparently need Class 6 SD cards to shoot video on a DSLR, is that the only spec I should look for? Or is Class 10 better? (I'm looking at a DSLR that uses SD cards.) Is Transcend a good brand?

Also, what is the data rate of the HD footage shot on a Canon DSLR? In other words, how much footage can an 8gb card hold, for example?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: SD Card questions
on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:08:14 am

Transcend class 10 maybe the best value out there. I have Toshiba Class 4 that seemed to be okay but for paying gigs I would not risk it, I would use at least class 6. The tricky thing is that not all cards are the same with regards to real write speeds.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Sep 27, 2010 at 10:23:36 am

You can write about 25min of video on an 8GB card. Notice that files can't be lager than 4GB, so you can write two files of about 12 minutes on that card.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 27, 2010 at 7:26:49 pm

Yes, you want class 6 or better. I bought a San Disk and a brand I've never heard of. The brand I've never heard of needs to be re-formatted. Imagine if you lost everything before you where able to transfer it. I guess what I'm saying is don't cheap out on the brand.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Patrick Simpson
on Sep 27, 2010 at 9:42:02 pm

Is Transcend a cheap brand?

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Sep 28, 2010 at 1:05:57 am

Hi Patrick, check out robgalbraith.com: under the CF/SD category is the"Card-to Computer; SD/SDHC Readers" article. It's really thorough. What I got out of it was whether you need the speed shooting, you get much faster download times (especially if you have to offload to shoot). SanDisk Extremes seem to me the choice, but card size does matter. Good luck...ML

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 28, 2010 at 2:16:17 am

No it is inexpensive but it is not a cheap brand. It is highly recommended by some of the biggest players in the DSLR video world.

Return to posts index

Errol Lazare
on Oct 10, 2010 at 4:52:10 pm

I remember being overwhelmed at the beginning with which cards to use.
I am finally happy with what i have:

I use the Sandisk 60mb/s extreme card and it has worked perfect for me. No camera buffering like I got on the cheaper card (buffering basically stopped my recording because the card couldn't handle the info recorded)(kingston 133x cards)Not fun.

I use the 32gig verison of the Sandisk and even bought a sandisk FW800 CF card reader. It transfers 32gigs to my internal hard drive in 12-minutes. Definitely recommend it.

I bought everything at BHphotovideo.com

Did give you a little more insite?

Cheers,
Errol

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]