COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeffrey durkin
looking for good storage
on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:26:33 pm

Hello,
I know this is for FCP, but I am looking for the biggest, cheapest
best hard drives for internal use in my Mac Pro. I Have 3 bays open that I want
to dedicate to HD video editing. What brand, speed and models are the best and where can I order?
Thanks

Jeff

FCS2 / AF CS4
Mac Pro 2 x2.8 Quad Core Intel Xeon
4GB Ram

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
Re: looking for good storage
on Feb 2, 2010 at 12:46:09 am

Western Digital Caviar Black
Desktop Hard Drives
1 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 7200 RPM

I have three in my Mac Pro, works great.

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Feb 2, 2010 at 1:42:55 pm

Who doesn't want the "biggest", and "cheapest" and "best" :)

Specifically speaking about hard drives, no matter what brand, what make, or how much it's praised...all hard drives will fail! I hope you have a raid configured for data protection in mind :)

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:01:00 am

Ryan writes: Specifically speaking about hard drives, no matter what brand, what make, or how much it's praised...all hard drives will fail! I hope you have a raid configured for data protection in mind :)

i couldnt agree more. with hard drives, best and cheapest don't work together. the best are the server/enterprise drives. but these cost 2-3 times more than their consumer-level cousins. but they are designed to run 24/7 for 5 years minimum. consumer-level drives aren't. this is especially important if you are RAIDing these drives together. now that drive manufacturers are "green-washing" their cheapest drives, they are making them incompatible with RAID configurations. ie, if you're hard drive spins down to save power, it will destabilize the RAID.

i think you'll get some good suggestions over in the SAN forum. most of us over there have worked (and had failures) with every hard drive and configuration under the sun.

e

Eric Hansen - The Audio Visual Plumber - http://www.avplumber.com

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Feb 6, 2010 at 3:12:16 am

I would suggest the CalDigit products over any standard internal RAID configuration - they have been much more stable in my experience. I have several CalDigit HDPro's at 6TB configured as RAID-5. Quick data rates in and out, great product.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]