FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing with DSLR & HDV footage

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tomo brody
Editing with DSLR & HDV footage
on Sep 23, 2010 at 2:49:17 pm

Hithere,

Im thinking of getting a Canon 550d for a documentary shoot im going on in Lebanon. Up to now we have been using a Sony z5 shooting HDV 1080i for our films and the 550d would not be a replacement but to pick up cutaways & b-roll etc. Now my question is am I going to have big problems cutting HDV 1080i footage and 550d footage together in the same project/film? - Both in terms of the way the shots may look very different and also the problems I might have editing with different format footage.

Anyone have any experience working like this?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tomo

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Editing with DSLR & HDV footage
on Sep 23, 2010 at 6:14:30 pm

I'd bump em both to ProRes just to keep things simple- assuming we're talking about cutting in Final Cut Pro here. Would be a different story in say Premiere or Vegas.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

tomo brody
on Sep 23, 2010 at 10:46:50 pm

Great thanks, so you think that the difference in resolution and color intensity etc won't look very odd side by side?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:28:43 am

Ha- that wasn't the original question. The question was how to best edit them together. Of course they will *look* radically different. Not much you can do about that if that's what you're shooting.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:57:40 am

Most of the time using mix format cameras is not the best corse of action. Same cameras match easier then others, then some are such a mismatch that you end up spending a lot of time in post to match them or just live with shocking differences.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Sep 24, 2010 at 3:34:04 am

Well, before we had two DSLR's we shot a couple of imagefilms with the Canon 7D and the Sony HVR-V1 HDV Camcorder and what I learned in mixing the formats is: If you can avoid it, don't do it ;-)
Editing/colour-correcting was quite a big deal, because not only did the footage look totally different, Premiere also had problems with mixing the codecs...

In short I did the following:

- Converting the footage of both cameras into a high-quality codec like Quicktime "Animation".
- Editing it in Premiere (with use of no effects, transitions, etc...)
- Importing the sequence into After Effects
- Colour-correcting in After Effects
- Putting in all transitions, effects etc (still in After Effects)
- Exporting...

For our last "mixed" shoots we planned the films in a way that we used the different cameras for different parts of the film, so I didn't have the problem to use mixed footage for one scene.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Sep 25, 2010 at 12:29:50 am

We occasionally have projects that are using mixed HD clips. CS5 handles them on the same timeline just fine.

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Sep 25, 2010 at 3:29:52 pm

John, how do you handle colour-correcting? Also in Premiere?

For me, AE was to this point the only solution, because of the different overlay modes (blending the HDV footage in soft-light mode with itself in variing transpanrencies, drives the HDV footage quite well in the "right" direction).

Return to posts index

tomo brody
on Sep 27, 2010 at 12:33:37 pm

Wonderful thanks so much for all advice.

t

Return to posts index

Julius Acena
on Oct 5, 2010 at 5:56:47 am

hi.

Premiere also has blending modes. Its in the effect controls under opacity.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 6, 2010 at 10:47:13 am

Thanks, Tomo! Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 7, 2010 at 12:05:49 pm

I mean "Thanks, Julius!" and of course thanks to Tomo for starting this thread

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>