FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 60D - can AGC be turned off?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Ray
Canon 60D - can AGC be turned off?
on Sep 22, 2010 at 9:56:51 pm

Hi folks,
I'm trying to make the right purchase choice for shooting video with a DSLR between the T2i and the 60D. I see that the 60D has audio meters and allows manual adjustment, but it is unclear to me whether we can turn the AGC off. Otherwise, as a video rig, I don't see any other compelling reason to choose the 60D over the t2i.
Thanks for any knowledgeable responses on AGC or any input on any other video benefits of a 60D over a T2i.

Jim

Director/Producer/Videographer/Editor

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: Canon 60D - can AGC be turned off?
on Sep 23, 2010 at 3:45:47 pm

Well, since the 60D has manual audio gain controls, that would imply that they aren't automatic gain controls. The two are mutually exclusive.

Personally, I've got a T2i and love it (I'm using the Magic Lantern firmware hack to disable AGC on it, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone since it's rather hard to set up). However, the 60D seems to have all of the features of the T2i, plus a few more, with Canon firmware that requires no fiddling, for not a ton more money. It'd be my choice.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 24, 2010 at 1:00:25 am

Totally agree, I have a T2i and love it, but I would spend the couple hundred bucks extra for the 60D. The Screen, HD Video out, audio controls, dual dials make it a no brainer.

If fact I think I'm going to sell my T2i to get the 60D.

Return to posts index

Jim Ray
on Sep 24, 2010 at 4:27:27 pm

Thanks, Michael! Good summary of "extras over the T2i. I assume that by mentioing HD out you are implying that the 60D will out put HD during record? I thought all the low-end Canons switched to 480p when recording. I would LOVE it if Canon had corrected this, since I plan to use an external monitor when shooting.
Best,
Jim

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:56:57 pm

[Jim Ray] "HD during record"
I believe the 7D is sending true HD out also. But there is no way to remove the info on the screen, You can turn off most of the stuff but the red dot will always be on.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Whitting
on May 18, 2011 at 1:42:14 am

The 60D is the best camera for the money and actually in the long run better for HD video that the 7D and the 5d both. The 60D is a camera that has all the bells and whistles that a professional camera man would ever want. Keep up the great work Canon. The 60D also works well with any shoulder rig or slider. It does not over heat like the T2i does once in a while.

Ron Whitting Executive producer-Owner
A.F. Productions / AFP-HD
Tyler, Texas

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Aug 3, 2011 at 4:12:47 pm

Woah hangon a second, "The 60D is a camera that has all the bells and whistles that a professional camera man would ever want"?

I think that's a little overating the 60D, sorry to bring gloom and all but am I missing something here? 60D colour space, not good. 60D rolling shutter, not good. 60D moire, not good. 60D recording length, not good. 60D build quality, not amazing. 60D sound recording, pretty abysmal (no XLR input for example). 60D battery life, not fantastic for video. 60D 'run and gun' capabilities therefore- not good. For a short film camera where artistic shooting, shallow DOF and nice bokeh is necessary, DSLRs are great, but I wouldnt ever describe one as having all the 'bellls and whistles' a pro would use. Although people seem to be thinking less and less of what a pro needs...take FCPX for example....

Sorry, just saw this post and felt a strong need to jump in with that. Also would like to add the dual processors and recording format (CF) of the 7D make it a better camera for not worrying about video dropping, and it also deals with noise slightly better. An articulated screen is only a bonus...

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor,
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Jim Ray
on Aug 3, 2011 at 4:42:54 pm

Good points, Thomas. Only those of us who have used pro video cameras would understand how helpful and effective purpose-built video cameras can be in the field. (XLR manual audio, good motion video processing, lots of discrete, large buttons, good ergonomics and weight balance, etc)

It's kinda of funny that no one has yet confirmed if it is possible to turn off the 60D's AGC. (having audio input controls does NOT necessarily prove that AGC isn't engaged)

Best,
Jim

Return to posts index

Ronnie Whitting
on Aug 3, 2011 at 10:00:24 pm

Yes the AGC can be turn off on a 60D. The internal setting is a manual setting.

Tyler, Texas

Return to posts index

Jim Ray
on Aug 4, 2011 at 2:30:18 pm

Thanks much!

Return to posts index

Ronnie Whitting
on Aug 30, 2011 at 2:32:24 am

YES when in manual mode the AGC is disabled. The camera is a blast to work with. We have used it on three actual full featured films with no problems what so ever. I would rather use the 60D than any other camera Canon makes. We use five of them in a full rig setup on a daily basis with ADOBE Premiere Pro CS5.5 , everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes. That is what makes America Great. Still land of the free.

Tyler, Texas

Return to posts index

Jim Ray
on Sep 24, 2010 at 4:37:00 pm

Micah,
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement around the 60D. I'm NOT anxious to spend more $$, but the "time is money" rule is important to weigh in these capital decisions.
I don't think your assumption around 'input controls meaning there won't be AGC' is necessarily correct. Some pro/pro-sumer camcorders and edit systems allow both to operate together - thus making the AGC more of a limiter for extreme levels changes. Even then, though, silent passages raise hell by draging the noise floor up...so I'm hoping that you are correct!
Thanks again,
Jim

Return to posts index

Peter Bos
on Sep 28, 2010 at 7:31:18 pm

Micah,
Are you having luck with the Magic Lantern option? I am running it but it doesn't seem to work properly in that the autoexec file I have also turns off the playback speaker and disables audio recording via the built in mic. I saw that there possibly is an updated autoexec file for these issues but the one linked to just points to the same version that is in rc1. Do you have the updated autoexec file? Does it work? If so could you forward it? If this option works I would love to use my T2i. I am just about to buy a 60d just to get clean audio because I couldn't get this to work.
Thanks!
Peter

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:29:34 pm

how did u use magic lantern on the T2i? it doesnt have the AGC disable yet.

Brandon Morris
http://www.brandonmorris.com

Canon T2i
13" Macbook Pro (Mid 09) 8GB RAM 10.6

Purchase My Stock Footage:
http://www.pond5.com/artist/brandonmorris
http://www.revostock.com/ViewProfile.html?&ID=53988

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:34:57 pm

Actually, it does (alpha version)... http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/1192bdeeb58e94...

Return to posts index

Kevin Taylor
on Oct 12, 2010 at 8:32:49 pm

Where did you get the firmware? I heard they havent released the AGC hack yet

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Oct 12, 2010 at 8:51:13 pm

The firmware is available at http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/550D.

And in reply to Peter, the firmware does indeed disable the internal mic and playback speaker. However, I have not needed to use either since I installed the hack. The standard internal mics are useless in my opinion so I use lapels or external on-camera mics exclusively. You can also hear audio playback through the headphones, so I don't use the internal speaker.

Return to posts index

Kevin Taylor
on Oct 13, 2010 at 4:52:17 am

the wiki says it only gives lens info and audio meters, no AGC disabling, anything I need to do with it?

Return to posts index

ted irving
on Apr 10, 2011 at 3:39:55 am

i'm the newbie here with the 60d and i would love some info on the firmware update for the 60d, specifically, how do i find out what firmware is already installed on my 60d? canon's site warns that 1.09 must be applied to cameras with 1.08 firmware, but they don't tell you how to find out what existing firmware you have. Thanks

Ted Irving
Content Freelancer
Media Instructor
http://www.tedtv.tv
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]