FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Stabilizong Lens with 7D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike Rodriguez
Using Stabilizong Lens with 7D
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:46:12 pm

I have noticed when I am shooting with a zoom telephoto lens out at the focal settings with either the Canon 24-105 or the 100-400mm with stabilization turned on that sometimes the lens stabilizes itself which causes twos things to happen with the captured clip. There is an initial jump or skip in the footage when viewed on the LCD screen at time the stabilizer kicks in(1 second) and you will hearing the stabilizer kicking in as the mic on the camera is open. Is this a normal function for the 7D with stabilized lens with the stabilizer turned. Obviously turned off thios condition doesn't occur
Mike

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Using Stabilizong Lens with 7D
on Sep 16, 2010 at 10:38:18 pm

The skip can be edited out, but, the noise from the internal monou
ral microphone is unacceptable.You will need to attach a Rode(or simalar) stereo Video Mike X/Y condensor which we have used for 12 months and it is superb, but, make sure it is inserted correctly into the body of(in our case the 5D Mark II or 7D ) as the mono mike will work causing the Image stabilizer noise. Again make sure you have turned the mike on or you will have No sound.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

mike Rodriguez
on Sep 17, 2010 at 4:20:49 am

Bob

Thanks for the response. So this is normal for the video capture to skip when a stabilized lens is used and
stabilization turned on. I do use the Rode Video Mic or my wireless for audio

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 17, 2010 at 5:10:42 am

Well, no. I usually leave the IS on all the time, except on a tripod when it may do strange things, like stabilize something that is stable.
Just got back from Tibet and China and never turned the image stabilizer off. The high definition video from the Canon EOS 5D Mark II is stunning and the stll images even at CR2 level outstanding and we have been using Canon cameras for 26 years as well as Hasselblad.

If you feel there is a slight delay, ask Canon Service to check it out, I have seen a slight video delay at very odd times but, not often on start up ? Enjoy the 7D

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 17, 2010 at 5:21:14 am

Mike,

You should not have any IS noise using the Rode ,otherwise there is something seriously wrong. Used it on Lord Howe Island with the birds, and apart from the chirping , no other noise except when I did not plug it in properly, and even then I got that rubbish out using Premiere Pro Effects and audio track control.

Ps. The IS full frame EF lens may behave differetly to the 7D's S series.Canon Australia have told me there is a special lens the Canon EF L 70-200mm which has a special horizontal stabilizer that removes some judder in fast panning ?????????? I have yet to see. We mainly use the 35-135 mm EF IS because of it's lightness and is great hand held. The Professional 28-70mm L Series 2.8 is just to heavy and not IS.

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Paul Kim
on Sep 21, 2010 at 9:46:17 pm

It's completely normal for you to see that skip/stutter/image shift (however you want to describe it) when you initially start panning or shifting, kind of like with all the other forms of OIS in other cameras like Panasonics and Sonys over the years. It looks slightly different with how Canon makes it work in their lenses. I have a 24-105 and it's definitely there. If you have it on a tripod and start a pan it's definitely going to show. Or handheld. I seem to notice this more of a problem with these Canon lenses than in a typical camcorder like a Panasonic 170.

As far as sound, any mic mounted to your camera is going to pick up the sound of the IS. Some louder than others, but with a mic that close, there's no avoiding it. Some lenses have quieter IS than others. One way to reduce it is to mount the mic farther away from the camera with a rod, or just mount the mic elsewhere entirely like you would with a typical dual system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]