FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing Up Compact Flash Card Footage To A Hard Drive

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sagar Desai
Backing Up Compact Flash Card Footage To A Hard Drive
on Sep 14, 2010 at 9:32:30 pm

I'm sure this is fairly simple, but I just want to make sure I have my basis covered. When backing up from compact flash cards retrieved from the Canon 5D or 7D to a hard drive: Let's say I'm working on a two day music video entitled ATL, would such a file directory be fine? Also, you take drag all the contents of the compact flash card, correct?

Backing up to Hard Drive 1
Folder: ATL
Folder: September 12, 2010
Folder: Card 1

Lets say I shot about five cards on Sept 12, on day two, Sept 13, should I start again at Card 1 or should I label it as Card 6, or does it even matter since the folder previous will be of a different day...

Folder: September 13, 2010
Folder: Card 1? or Card 6?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Backing Up Compact Flash Card Footage To A Hard Drive
on Sep 14, 2010 at 9:55:28 pm

There is no right or wrong here, it is what works for you. The main thing that you copy the complete intact folder and file structure of the card to separate Folders.

But if I were doing it I would use
Main Folder ATL
Subfolders:
20100912-Card_01
20100913-Card_01
20100913-Card_02
20100913-Card_03
and so on.

Keep names clean, no "," no spaces. As compacted as possible is my rule of thumb.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Sep 14, 2010 at 10:19:14 pm

What Michael said, each card needs an ident that logically distinguishes it from every other card in the project.

Copy / duplicate all data on the card not just the video files. Then duplicate / copy them again to another drive for security.

Have someone shot list what's on each card to make things faster and easier to find in post production.

It's such a simple procedure people often think it's unnecessary and couldn't be bothered, until something goes wrong. Sometimes they even designate a volunteer, intern or trainee to do the task - any problems due to incorrect procedure will not be found until post production.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Sagar Desai
on Sep 15, 2010 at 1:57:51 am

Michael. Thanks again. I've got a few more questions to your response.

+Is there a downside to using commas or spaces in the names of folders? Just wondering if there is a negative impact.

+Also the subfolder you created, such as "20100912-Card_01" is one folder, correct? and not two separate folders such as Folder: 20100912 and Folder: Card_01.

+ Lastly, again, I don't have to pickup on the Card Number for the second day of the shoot, but I can, if I choose to. If i left off on card_05 on the first day, I don't have to start up on card_06 the second day do I? , but I can if I choose to?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 15, 2010 at 6:48:27 am

[Sagar Desai] "+Is there a downside to using commas or spaces in the names of folders? Just wondering if there is a negative impact. "
Just a really bad habit, names should only have letters, numbers, dashes and underscores. That way nothing with have a problem with it. With Mac it is no problem but what if someday you need to load this on a system that doesn't like "," you have to change on of them, keep it simple and clean.

[Sagar Desai] "+Also the subfolder you created, such as "20100912-Card_01" is one folder, correct? and not two separate folders such as Folder: 20100912 and Folder: Card_01."
Yes, one folder

[Sagar Desai] "+ Lastly, again, I don't have to pickup on the Card Number for the second day of the shoot, but I can, if I choose to. If i left off on card_05 on the first day, I don't have to start up on card_06 the second day do I? , but I can if I choose to? "
Nope, as long as something is different, just do want ever makes more sense to you. If I were going to carry the card numbering through the days (not starting at 01 on the new day) would name the folders - Card_01-20100912, I want what is different to be first, once again not a right or wrong, just the way I like it.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 15, 2010 at 6:24:38 pm

Checkout Shotput Pro. This is a terrific little program that will offload and VERIFY almost every variety of storage card. Additionally, it will name your backups incrementally, and you can backup simultaneously to more than one drive (a very good idea)!

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Sep 17, 2010 at 6:30:57 pm

or, try this:
http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/15/offloader/2

it also converts your video to Prores or native Avid files.
(or any quicktime variant on your system).

And it is about 99 dollar cheaper...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Errol Lazare
on Oct 11, 2010 at 3:23:03 am

Usually what I do for backup of cards is to create a directory on it's own project hard drive and have a matching folder for original footage and transcoded footage

For example:

Client #1 hard drive
-Originals
-Sept 24 Footage
-Card 1
-Card 2
-Sept 25 Footage
-Card 1
-Card 2
-Card 3

-Transcodes
-Sept 24 Footage
-Card 1 Trans
-Card 2 Trans
-Sept 25 Footage
-Card 1 Trans
-Card 2 Trans
-Card 3 Trans

I copy the full card including all folders on the camera to EX: Sept 24 Card 1, and then card 2, 3 ETC.

Once this is copied I transcode the footage using Mpeg Stream Clips to the Transcode folder.

Once this is transcoded I copy the full hard drive to a backup drive and store in a firesafe.
Always have a backup with Cards! and always keep both the originals and transcoded. If your footage didn't transcode properly at least you have the originals.

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]