Matching up a frame, any ideas?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Göran Thorén
Matching up a frame, any ideas?
on Sep 11, 2010 at 11:05:28 am

Hi!
I'm in a bit of a tight spot.
A couple of weeks ago I shot a music video with a locked of camera with a 16mm lens on my 7D. There was a lot of extras that never showed up on the set so I need to reshoot them.
Problem; finding more or less the exact framing from the previous shot.
As I see it I need to do some kind of an overlay with a still frame from the previoius shoot and at the same time have a live preview from the camera.

Any ideas how ever mad or crazy are most welcome!

Thank's

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
Re: Matching up a frame, any ideas?
on Sep 11, 2010 at 12:06:28 pm

What you could do, perhaps is do a test shot on the set and load it up in your NLE on a laptop and then make the matching frame 50% transparent as you overlay on top of the test shot.

I don't know of any live tools that will allow you to superimpose that, but perhaps someone else here does...

Richard van den Boogaard
cameraman / editor / video marketing consultant

Branded Channels
W: http://www.brandedchannels.com

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Sep 11, 2010 at 12:42:10 pm

Thank's Richard! That's a good idea!
It would be great if a live feed from the camera in to fcp would work but I guess it won't...
I also were thinking of using EOS utility, maby some easy way of using that, since I still have the original shots from the first take.
Maby there is a way of switching between the live camera view and the already recorded footage.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 11, 2010 at 9:08:58 pm

if you could get your hands on a switch that would be the most instant feed back. But the switch would have to accept HDMI or you need a converter.

This way the camera feeds into the switcher, and the footage from a mac feeds into the switch, you stop in the middle of a dissolve. On some you can mess with the opacity also. This could give you instant live feed back. But it is also a lot of equipment and possible cost.

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Sep 12, 2010 at 8:11:26 am

Thank's Michael!
I actually have thought of some kind of switch but as you mentioned that's unfortunately equipment I can't afford at the moment. It could really come in handy in the future though for matching live footage with chroma key for instance.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Sep 11, 2010 at 9:46:54 pm

If you still have the CF card you could view the shot from your camera in a monitor. Carefully mark essential reference points around the edge of the frame on your monitor. Match your new shot to these marks.

Framing your new shot slightly (very slightly) wider should allow you make resize adjustments in post to get a near perfect match.

Other suggestions; Have something move across the foreground and use a transitional wipe or rotoscope the edge of the foreground object moving across from the original to the new shot.

Morphing software to get from your original to the new shot?

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Sep 12, 2010 at 8:13:33 am

Phil, thank you for your suggestions!
Widening the shot a tad is a great idea!
The original was shot in 1080 and the final will be 720 so there are some headroom to work with it in post.

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Sep 12, 2010 at 8:22:39 am

I have tried EOS utility and it's a shame you aren't able to play back clips from the camera, I haven't found such a feature anyway.
I guess this is what I will end up doing:
Take a still frame from the previous shot and load it into the prewiev app in my Mac.
Use EOS utility To snap some aprox shots and load them into the same side bar as my previous shot in in preview and switch between the two to get a descent aproximation.
When I think I'm close enough I will find the perfect match in Photoshop.

In this day and age this should be a really easy task to perform one would think...

Still open for better ideas. :)

Husse

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Sep 12, 2010 at 11:51:44 am

You can replay the clips off the CF card in the camera, I was hoping you hadn't erased / reformatted your card though.

I've never tried copying the files back to a card. Obviously though you have to replicate the whole card so you had all the data.

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Sep 12, 2010 at 5:20:51 pm

Yes Phil, I have the original files on my CF.
I was hoping to be able to play back the clips in EOS utility through the remote control an match it there but it doesn't seem to work....
But your idea of using an external monitor seems to be the easiest way.
Thank's for that!

Husse

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Sep 12, 2010 at 9:32:29 pm

It's also a more precise way. You'll be able to play back the clip on location in your monitor, freeze it, mark essential points in the shot very carefully on your monitor screen. Turn off replay and you should see your new shot in place of the replayed one.

Making the shot fractionally (minutely) so all four corners include the information in the extreme corners of the original shot will allow you to rotate and slightly zoom the image in post for a perfect match. Your chances of getting all 1920 x 1080 pixels matched via the monitor are very remote.

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Sep 13, 2010 at 8:15:12 am

Thank's Phil!
I will definetly use your approach!

/Göran

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 13, 2010 at 9:12:29 pm

If you have a laptop in the field and your camera has Firewire, you can do precisely this with Red Lightening software's DV monitor Pro.

It overlays the live camera shot on top of ANY still shot you capture with both at 50% luminance.

For what it's worth.

FCP since NAB 1999
creator: muti-track movies
http://www.starteditingnow.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]