FORUMS: list search recent posts

shutter speed multiple of 24

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan LaCloche
shutter speed multiple of 24
on Sep 7, 2010 at 2:02:39 am

I read many places that a shutter speed of 1/50 is the best for 24fps video because it's the closest you can get to the 1/48 used in motion pictures. I also read that if you start messing with the shutter speed (like speeding it up), your video starts looking choppy.

Is there a little cheat room as long as I stay with multiples of 50? I thought maybe I could go with 1/200 or 1/400 to darken the exposure a litle.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: shutter speed multiple of 24
on Sep 7, 2010 at 2:22:37 am

That will result in a highly pronounced staccato motion- a la Saving Private Ryan. Fine if that's the effect you're intending but otherwise greatly distracting. The professional way to lower exposure when you run out of f-stop is with a neutral density filter.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Sep 7, 2010 at 7:59:42 am

And there is logic to that.
The higher the shutter time, the shorter the exposure is.
That results in less motion blur, causing the effect.
It is however a trick very much used if you know for sure you need slomo, as in slomo you are able to see the action instead of a blurry mess (that looks good at normal speed)

So, just toy with it, and see if you like the results.
There is no good or bad, just taste.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 7, 2010 at 3:02:43 pm

As usual, Noah gives good advice. I'm editing some stuff shot in the mid-west by somebody else that has a lot of this. Most of it is unusable because when shooting outdoors they let the camera compensate by raising the shutter speed to compensate for the brightness level. Bad choice, and it's one of the downsides to this death grip we have on short DOF with an emphasis on wide open apertures.

To show you how bad it can be, not only is it all staccato, but in many frames there is a pronounced double image... which really draws attention.

To be fair to DSLRs, one of the locations was shot on an EX-3, and there is a simple walk in by the talent under a tree outside, and it has the same problem, only to a much lesser degree. I had to play the original clip of the clients HD to confirm that it was in the original.

Rolling shutter is a fun thing, huh? Recently I'm experiencing a little phenomenon that appears to be related to using Kino's. Doesn't happen with incandescents or LED's. Just what we need... more fun.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Sep 7, 2010 at 9:43:50 am

Like Noah said, get a VariND from SinghRay or the much cheaper FaderND from LightCraft. This allows you to shoot wide open and still vary the incoming light from 2 to 8 stops.

However, if you're shooting in low light situations, you may have to resort to dragging the shutter to a lowest possible limit of 1/30th.

Be careful though, as it may introduce motion blurs (the opposite of the staccato movements when you up the shutter speed). When you're shooting talking heads, this won't be an issue; when there's lots of motion, you may notice the blur.

Richard van den Boogaard
cameraman / editor / video marketing consultant

Branded Channels
W: http://www.brandedchannels.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]