FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing up the 5D to several Norman 400Bs.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Cicon
Syncing up the 5D to several Norman 400Bs.
on Sep 5, 2010 at 11:17:39 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am a videographer these days after an almost two decades long career in Wedding Photography. Recently I shot a commercial for a client who now wants me to shoot 'stills' for the website. I took my Norman 400Bs out of 5 years in moth balls to discover three of them still work great. I would like to use them on the 'still' shoot in conjunction with the Canon 5D which I recently purchased and is en route from B&H. My job is in ten days. I am going to be learning my way around the 5D and do not want to learn anything too complex about flash triggers. Could anyone suggest the best possible (highly reliable, low maintenance, low user-error probability) flash trigger to fire off three Norman 400Bs using my 5D.

Please keep in mind that the 400Bs take a household-style sync cord plug in. Any ideas?
Jared

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Syncing up the 5D to several Norman 400Bs.
on Sep 6, 2010 at 2:55:21 am

That's a camera for a still camera forum more than one focused on using DSLRs to shoot videos. I'm sure you can find someone with that expertise.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Sep 6, 2010 at 3:21:59 am

Hey Noah,
Actually it's a dual purpose camera. I thought that maybe some other Creative Cow user might have purchased the camera with the same intent as I. I think I could benefit from still image production advice given by a fellow videographer. The lines are blurring Noah.
Jared

BTW, is Creative Cow only for Videography? If so, I think it would be cool if maybe they broadened the forum choices. I could see a not to distant future where creatives everywhere test the waters of new technologies as a result of ever decreasing cost.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 6, 2010 at 3:36:27 am

But your question is a still camera operation question.

[Jared Cicon] "BTW, is Creative Cow only for Videography?"
For the most part yes it is. That is not to say your wrong to post a "still" question, but I think Noah was trying to offer a helpful suggestion and not to tell you "don't ask that here".

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Sep 6, 2010 at 3:55:37 am

Hey Michael,
Oh I understood Noah's good intentions and I appreciate them. Here's something to think about though. With video productions regularly incorporating slides, and still images during the editing process...... and now to have a series of cameras by Canon (5D included) that allow a creative to execute both types of image creation during the same day of production.....I think the question is an appropriate one and maybe even for this forum. Like Noah, I am a commercial director with national commercials to my credit, but I also have almost two decades of still experience as a Wedding Photographer. I would hate to think I would have to go somewhere else other than Creative Cow for my 5D 'still photography' brain picking. I would be willing to wager that there are a lot of other creatives in my shoes.
Jared

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 6, 2010 at 5:48:02 am

Didn't say don't ask, we all know fields are merging, people do ask questions about stills but the Cow is not all things to all people. If I wanted answers about strobe flashes I personally would ask somewhere else. I would want a bigger answer pool to draw from, that is all I'm saying.

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Sep 6, 2010 at 6:11:31 am

I may have more faith than you. I think I'd rather wait for a gold nugget from CC, than wade through a motherlode of fools gold from some other site. Where's your faith man?

Return to posts index

Ju Santana
on Sep 8, 2010 at 7:11:49 am

To be honest Jared, it seems as if you\'ll be waiting for a long time bud, simply because CC just embraced the concept of DSLR\'s and not as a tool for taking digital stills, but rather to produce digital videos. The fact that this forum just started kind of hints at the fact that DSLR\'s were acknowledged on CC because of their capability to shoot hi-res video...I think in the not too distant future they might incorporate photography in the picture (no pun intended) but for now it certainly might not provide you with the help you may want in the time frame you might need it in. Good luck!
-Ju

Canon 5d Mark II
Mac Pro Quad Core 8 GB Ram
Mac Book Pro 17"

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:02:04 am

Thanks J.S.. A guy can hope.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Sep 12, 2010 at 8:12:42 am

Hi Jared.

>>BTW, is Creative Cow only for Videography? If so, I think it would be cool if maybe they broadened the forum choices. I could see a not to distant future where creatives everywhere test the waters of new technologies as a result of ever decreasing cost.

You are trying to convince the wrong people.

Click on FORUMS in the upper left hand corner, and then select COWmmunications Feedback in the upper left hand area of the grid of choices. Address your suggestion to the powers that moo, but I would not advise holding your breath.

I hope that helps.

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:58:58 am

Hey Norman,
Thanks for the advice. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I am 4 projects deep for the same client (commercial, industrial, website). My family doesn't see much of me these days. I did want to take a minute though and thank you for taking the time to offer your opinion.
Jared

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Oct 4, 2010 at 2:49:31 pm

You are welcome. It is just that we have no power in these things. So if you want another forum added you have to convince the people who own/operate Creative Cow (point of contact is specifically Ron Lindeboom).

I have been trying to get a NewBlueFX forum added, but so far it seems as if they are not interested. So they just don't answer.

But it's their forum, so they get to do as they wish.

I am glad to hear you have lots of work.

Norman

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:14:00 pm

Hey Norman,
Creative Cow is still highly respected in the universe of genius bars, but the old adage, "Change or Die" seems to be coming more and more applicable. In my opinion, the subject of 'imagery' is what Creative Cow should embrace, whether those images come in a single frame per second or 24 FPS. I understand the ambivalence. I was a wedding photographer shooting Bronica SQA for almost two decades, refusing to cross over to digital. Eventually I saw the light, albeit at far too late a date.

RE: Workload
Yeah, I am inundated. I mustn't complain though. You know how it is in this business. Feast and famine. After this row of contracts I'll probably go another 6 months without a blip on the radar.

Jared

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:29:51 pm

Well, as Solomon says, Death and Life are in the power of the tongue.

I understand what you are saying. Please submit your request to Ron Lindeboom here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/cowcowmunications

If you can show them how to increase their bottom line without significantly increasing their workload (or straining too many brain cells in the process) they may go for it :)
Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:54:04 pm

Hey Norman,
I just posted something for Ron L. Thanks for the info.
Jared

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]