FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spare batteries for 550D/Rebel T2i

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Weaver
Spare batteries for 550D/Rebel T2i
on Aug 31, 2010 at 11:07:16 am

So I'm planning on buying some extra batteries for my 550D and was all set to get some non-Canon like-for-likes from Amazon when I read a review from someone saying the ones they had bought (an Opteka) had a 30 minute lifetime on video!

Can anyone recommend a 3rd party battery that performs as well as Canon's? Ideally under £20 ($30) mark as that means I can splash out on the battery grip too!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Spare batteries for 550D/Rebel T2i
on Aug 31, 2010 at 6:16:59 pm

[Neil Weaver] "I can splash out "

That is a new expression for me, never seen that being used before.

Return to posts index

Neil Weaver
on Sep 1, 2010 at 10:00:25 am

"That is a new expression for me, never seen that being used before."

Must be an English thing - I dread to think what images it conjures up for you guys then!

I would also agree with you Phil about getting what you pay for although I got a spare Hahnel battery for my old XHA1 which has performed perfectly its entire life. I think I've had up to about 8 hours shooting on it and if memory serves it was less than half the price of the Canon battery.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Aug 31, 2010 at 9:51:39 pm

Buy the originals. Often other brands won't charge in the Canon charger this means you probably need to buy the other brand charger too.

There are also stories of cheap batteries over-heating and swelling in the camera making them impossible to remove.

Two places you shouldn't cut corners if you are a professional, batteries and storage cards. Failure of either could stuff up your whole shoot - a far more expensive disaster than spending a few extra coins on reliable and proven equipment.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Sep 6, 2010 at 6:31:33 pm

Hey Neil, days late, BUT: I'm using the original battery with 2 "Power 2000" LP-E8 for backups(2 to burn while one charges). They cost about 9$ each (WAY cheaper than Canon), and seem to have close to as much run time, and work in the charger BUT!: they give almost NO warning in the battery life window (just starts flashing red-dies in>30sec.) so YOU need to "time" them yourself, anytime the camera is shooting OR playing back review. I know there is some risk using aftermarket product, but that's why we talk about it; so far I'm real satisfied and learned to gauge the life well. p.s. using class 4 cards too(Sandisk Ultra); only once seen the "wait/writing" warning on the cam. Biggest loss I see there is offload is slower, depending on your system (check out Rob Galbraith DPI: Card-to-Computer:SD/SDHC Readers)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 13, 2010 at 4:24:23 pm

I took a risk on the two pack of non-Canon batteries and think they work great, other then the no warning when they are out of juice. Take a look at them here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CIHOOM/ref=oss_product

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]