FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR for a college student

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colton Crook
DSLR for a college student
on Aug 27, 2010 at 4:41:21 am

Hey all,
So I'm taking a studio photography class at my college, and they highly recommend having your own DSLR. However, my major is TV/Film, and I'm more of a video production student, so if I got a DSLR, I would want to get one with video capabilities. I don't make a lot of money, so what do you think would be the best candidate for a camera around 500 dollars or so? I'm pretty open to any brand. Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: DSLR for a college student
on Aug 27, 2010 at 1:12:28 pm

I'll just start things off with the basic. It is a bit more than 500 but the Canon T2i.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675617-REG/Canon_4462B001_Canon_EOS_R...
It might be worth springing for the extra money and here is why... the images that it can captures are comparable to very expensive professional video cameras. I heard someone on this forum say that DSLR's will give the best looking footage short of spending $20,000 on a RED. And that is with a $3,500 5D, unheard of price comparison. I have worked on independent feature films that have been shot with this camera setup (I believe he said he spent $1,300 on the whole camera setup) and the footage looks pretty great.

There is a lot of stuff to reasearch and look into but the possibilities are very exciting (at least for me, does that make me weird?)

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DSLR for a college student
on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:31:08 pm

The toughest thing is you really need a lot of extras to make a DSLR work as a video camera. But the Stock T2i even with the kit lens can do it. But you can build as you go, you can borrow stuff, you can rent stuff, you can make it happen but you have to start out at the $900 range if you want to do real video work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]