FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixing DVCPRO HD 720p24pN with Canon 7d footage - formats?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Grimson
mixing DVCPRO HD 720p24pN with Canon 7d footage - formats?
on Jan 27, 2010 at 5:30:21 pm

I'm getting ready to direct a 2-camera shoot. A Canon 7d (not familiar with) and an HVX200 (shoot with all the time). The format I shoot on HVX is DVCPRO HD 720p24pN. I'm looking for optimal shoot format on the Canon 7d so that when I end up in FCP, I'm working with both sets of footage ideally converted to same format. Or so I think...

My question is what should I shoot the 7d at, and what should I convert the footage to; presumably transcoded via compressor? Do I want to convert the raw h.264 to APR422 or convert to DVCPRO HD prior to editing. Or will I have to deal with both formats and pick one to render out to ultimatley?

Any ideas, advice on this workflow is most welcome!!

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: mixing DVCPRO HD 720p24pN with Canon 7d footage - formats?
on Jan 27, 2010 at 11:25:47 pm

Well the one problem you're going to have is that in 720 the 7D only shoots 50 or 60fps so the footage will look quite a bit different.

You'd probably be better off shooting 1080p24(23.98) converting the footage as you describe to DVCPRO HD(ProRes would be ideal but I've done the DVCPRO HD conversion and to the eye it looks ok) and then in post reframing and scaling the 1080 clips.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Jon Grimson
on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:43:47 pm

Thanks Robbie!

Any reason I should not simply down-res the 1080 footage when converting to DVCPRO HD 720p24p and scale it to 960x720? If I do that, I'm not having to render in fcp. Just wondering...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:07:06 pm

no you could convert at that time...but unless you mask off for 720 framing i.e. keeping everything in the center of the frame you might want to the added ability to reframe a shot in post.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Jon Grimson
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:10:42 pm

Good point Robbie. Thanks for the tips!

Return to posts index

Pat Smith
on Feb 4, 2010 at 4:37:23 am

If you shoot 24p with your 7D you are going to lose your audio sync if you transcode to DVCproHD 72024p in compressor. The DVCpro HD codec uses a 23.97 frame rate, but ir is based on a 60 fps clock. I don't understand why. I just tried this and my 7D footage lost audio sync. To resync it I had to lay the audio back in at around 95% speed. The only codecs available in compressor that don't lose audio sync when running the 7D's 24p through compressor are XDcam HD 24p and the various ProRes codecs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]