FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D Noise and Pixilation Issue

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan neeson
Canon 7D Noise and Pixilation Issue
on Jan 27, 2010 at 1:26:10 pm

Hi Guys,
I recently purchased a Canon 7D after watching so many beautifully shot short films on Vimeo. I bought Philip Bloom’s 7D DVD and set up my camera accordingly… No matter what I seem to shoot, I can’t get smooth images.

I am reasonably to new to DSLRs in general, so perhaps I am doing something wrong? Some setting not configured properly?

My ongoing problem is that my footage seems to be very noisy and slightly pixilated in most lighting conditions (including outdoor daylight when shooting shady trees).

I was wondering if someone could please tell me their settings or how I could improve my shots?

I have a footage sample here:

And some frame stills extracts here:
http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae230/n33s0n/Canon7DNoise.jpg

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae230/n33s0n/Canon7DNoiseColour.jpg

Where is the noise/ pixilation coming from?

Here is the set up I am using:
Canon 7d Body
Lens - Canon 50mm F1.8
Aperture: f1.8
Shutter Speed: 1/50
ISO: 200
24fps 1920x1080HD PAL
White Balance: 5000k (matched to light source)

Light Source 15w CFL Fluorescent lamp, (equivalent to 75w incandescent) placed approx 1m away from subject.

Camera Settings:
User Def. 1
Sharpness = 0
Contrast = Absolute –
Saturation = 2 clicks negative
Color Tone = 0 (default)

Highlight Tone Priority = Enabled
ISO Expansion = Enabled

Converting footage from Canon format to Avid ADxHD codec using MpegStreamClip and editing in After Effects CS3.

Is there a better codec or setting to use in MpegStreamClip? Workflow is premiere/ After Effects

Really appreciate all feedback – thank you all for your help

Return to posts index

dan neeson
Re: Canon 7D Noise and Pixilation Issue
on Jan 28, 2010 at 12:49:21 am

Here is another video - this is ripped straight from the flash card.

again - any help would be most appreciated
dn

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Feb 4, 2010 at 12:59:48 pm

The Canon 7D like most DSLR's has a dynamic range of around 5 to 6 stops, you will start to get into trouble if your scene exceeds this range. The camera sensor and metering system is set up to be a little flat, because preserving highlights is the priority of the meter, once the highlights are blown there is zero information left.

I don't think it is viable with the 7D to go past iso 1600. I have set my 7D up with a preset for general shooting and another for 60fps. I used a set up that is making the rounds online, from Tyler Ginter, he has a tutorial at vimeo #7622493

With these presets you will have to do a little levels adjustment and maybe some color grading, I do find a slight magenta cast on 7D files.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:15:01 am

hey dan

i tried to watch your videos, but it looks like they've been removed.

the first still with pixelization "jaggies" - all video DSLRs have a bit of this because of the line skipping that is used to capture video from the imager (2MP video from a 18MP image) but yours looks worse than most. i don't use MPEG Streamclip or DNxHD, so i can't comment on that.

your second still with the blockyness - looks like H.264 compression. MPEG compression doesnt do well on slow gradients of dark objects, especially things like walls.

e

Eric Hansen - The Audio Visual Plumber - http://www.avplumber.com

Return to posts index

James Palugod
on Oct 12, 2010 at 2:12:12 am

I've had the same issues at low ISO's and in all lighting conditions.

I tried turning sharpening all the way down and turning highlight priority off. I've heard that I should pump the scene full of light but like the OP, this has happened even in daylight.

Any new info?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]