FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon T2i Strobing when panning!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcos Garofalo
Canon T2i Strobing when panning!
on Aug 2, 2010 at 9:06:13 pm

Hi everyone!

I just have a Canon T2i a few weeks ago, last week I had opportunity to shoot some HD video in 1080p @ 24fps... But when I pan the camera, video looks like a very noticeable strobing, shutter was on 1/30 - ISO at 100, aperture @ 22, it was sunny, the video colors was great, only that little thing, strobing when panning, and not the "flimy like strobe" it was not smooth :(...

Any advice Would be very appreciated!
Thank You For Your Time!

Marcos

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Canon T2i Strobing when panning!
on Aug 2, 2010 at 9:23:02 pm

Just posted this in the thread on the Mark II.

I noticed this sporadic shutter on my T2i the other day. I thinking I'm wrong about my class 4 being okay (I know they are below spec) in my last time it was really hot outside, close to 100 degrees. I'm getting Transcend cards at Class 6 now.

What type of cards are you using? 24p should be shot at 1/48 of a sec. 1/30 will give you extra blur. 24p does need to be panned very slow but if we are all describing the same thing it is not a too fast pan. It seems to be a write issue. For me I have to blame the cards first since they are under spec. What about you.

Return to posts index

Marcos Garofalo
on Aug 2, 2010 at 9:32:40 pm

Hello Michael!

Thanks for the reply, the kit came with an class 4 card, but camera wont allow me to record HD on it, How did you did it? right know Im using class 6 (150x) card. The panning was relatively slow, but yes, the shutter was @1/30
I will run a test with 1/48 as you suggest. Temperature condition was similar, Im in the caribbean, and temperature that day was about 97 degrees.
I will run the test this afternoon and will let you know.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Marcos

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 2, 2010 at 11:35:27 pm

I almost wished my card didn't work in video mode. I would have returned them, I got them at Sams but I will just use them for Stills from once my faster card comes in.

I really wondering if this is a heat thing. I did some test inside with AC on and panning seemed smooth. Camera really heats up fast out there. Talking like within 10 mins I get the blinking light.

Return to posts index

Marcos Garofalo
on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:20:13 am

Hi everyone!

I made the tests, now inside, no sun, and I found this:

@1080p -30fps with shutter @1/30 or 1/60, the footage seems a lot smoother

@1080p - 24fps with shutter@1/60 I still seeing the strobe, but a lot less.

Temperature blinking light? I was shooting for maybe a 15 minutes outside and no blinking thermometer, maybe because I didn't shoot constantly and turned off camera between shots.
Beware of that, I read that operating the camera at this temperatures can damage your gear.

I will make more tests in the weekend, at the same light conditions (if the tropical depression doesn't come)

Thanks again for your responce!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 3, 2010 at 7:32:14 pm

[Marcos Garofalo] "@1080p - 24fps with shutter@1/60 I still seeing the strobe, but a lot less."
24p will have scrobing unless you are supper slow. If you look up panning tables from the film guys you will see pan rates that will boggle the mind on have slow they are telling you to go. But start looking closely at blockbuster movies, all those fly overs have some strobing.

Return to posts index

Olanrewaju Olakunle
on Aug 2, 2010 at 9:37:54 pm

I beleive the problem is the slow shutter try using 1/48 or 1/60 that is the shutter for NTSC and 1/50 for PAL unless for special effect people seldom change the shutter. once you use slow shutter you are bound to get the stroby effect and the reason for 1/60 for NTSC is because of the electricity in your your area which i believe is set to 60hz. try it and you will discover that the strobes will go away

lanre

Spirit

Return to posts index

Marcos Garofalo
on Aug 2, 2010 at 11:13:51 pm

Olanrewaju

Thank you for your reply!

I will try it in a few minutes and will let you guys know. I really appreciate the help! thanks a lot!

Marcos

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Aug 4, 2010 at 4:01:40 pm

May be simply that you are panning too fast. There are rolling shutter issues in general with DSLRs anyway so you don't want to do any whip panning. How many seconds do you have in the pan from beginning to end? At any point is your subject closer to the camera during the pan than at, say, the beginning - a change in proximity to the camera will make a person move by the camera faster when closer (or slower when farther away) and you get strobing. These are the same basic rules that apply to film.

If the problem just won't go away, switch to 30P instead and see if that fixes it. Worst case, switch to 60fps and see if that helps. You'll need to convert, but you can remove some shutter problems.

As for cards - had numerous problems with class 4 and 6 cards (continual overheating, frequently stopped shooting mid-way, etc.). I switched to some cheap Class 10s from supermediastore and I have no problems now other than my own goofs. ;)

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Marcos Garofalo
on Aug 11, 2010 at 6:03:46 pm

Hey!

Hi everyone! thanks for your reply! I solve the issue!

It was stability! I used a tripod and I pan the camera, no hard strobe or distortion, just the natural one 24p does. I tried a shoulder mount of a friend, and was great, specially in 1/50 shutter.
Hi and low light conditions, same card. shooting on 30p was good, difference? I noticed less strobe or blur. but that framing specially on the edges of things when panning I guess is reduced by 97%.
And... the slower the pan, smoother the shot.

The first videos I was hand held, shoots where smooth, but no the panning, I believe the camera is very sensitive to vibrations or pulse.

May be in the future I will test more things in post. Im new to this DSLR thing, I've been 10 years using ccd cameras and editing with their footage, Now I have a lot more to learn, and thanks to people like you this changes are more polite.

Thank you everybody! Greetings from Puerto RIco!

Marcos

Return to posts index

Olanrewaju Olakunle
on Aug 12, 2010 at 11:02:22 am

well done

Spirit

Return to posts index

Sergiy Zavarykin
on Dec 25, 2011 at 12:39:44 am

1) Check if there source footage playing on the Dasktop machine is smooth, if yes:
then strobing comes out because of post processing.

If you are using CS5 you can work just directly with a source video from camera, but even in this case i would advice to transcode video to DNxHD .mov codec using some soft like MPEG Streamclip (you can find some tutorials on it from Philip Bloom). For DNxHD you need to install Avid encoding pack(only for pc users).

I found strobing on machines with ATI graphic cards as CS5 uses Mercury engine and is better to run on Nvidia cards with CUDA enabled.

By the way codec in camera is best for writing data. So you need to adopt that video for reading with help of transcoding.

I hope that would help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]