FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video problems with 5D mark 2

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan loetscher
Video problems with 5D mark 2
on Aug 2, 2010 at 5:24:06 pm

When I did some test shoots I noticed some stuttering in the video and was wondering if anyone else has come across this. I had it on a tripod and did a slow pan and the video stutters really bad... almost like when you play back a video in QT and your computer doesn't have enough RAM to play it back (which is not the case because I checked it out in FCP, even did different conversions to ProRes to check it out).

The memory card should be fast enough and it was freshly formatted.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Video problems with 5D mark 2
on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:33:35 pm

[ryan loetscher] "The memory card should be fast enough and it was freshly formatted."
if you are asking for help why not give useful info, type and speed of the card.

Does it go from smooth to jump every now and then or is it choppy throughout the pan? What frame rate are you using?

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:59:39 pm

I'm using the 30p setting and I would say its not consistent. Its throughout the pan, but I would say its sporadic, not like if I put 24 into a 30 timeline if that's what you were thinking. To me it definitely looks like a write speed issue, but I was assured my card was fast enough (of course I don't have it on me at the moment).

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 2, 2010 at 9:18:47 pm

I noticed this sporadic shutter on my T2i the other day. I thinking I'm wrong about my class 4 being okay (I know they are below spec) in my last time it was really hot outside, close to 100 degrees. I'm getting Transcend cards at Class 6 now.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 3, 2010 at 3:28:33 am

>>if you are asking for help why not give useful info, type and speed of the card.

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Aug 3, 2010 at 3:40:32 pm

Because if you read my post, I didn't have my card with me at the time. I was at work without my camera... however, I totally forgot to grab the card again! I'll make sure to reply to this tonight with the card speed... I actually don't know anything about the requirements of the cards.

Michael, let me know what you find out.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 3, 2010 at 4:29:21 pm

>>To me it definitely looks like a write speed issue, but I was assured my card was fast enough (of course I don't have it on me at the moment).

The different classes of cards refer to the different write speeds, which is why Michael was asking about what class of card you were using.

Please understand that if I don't write smiley faces all over the place, the fact that I am responding means I am trying to be helpful.

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 3, 2010 at 4:52:53 pm

Canon recommends Class 6 cards for my HF S10 (in AVCHD), with 24/25 MBps. I believe the T2i records something like half again as much data as that.

On the Canon Cameras forum I was told that the T2i needs Class 10 cards, and B&H recommends Class 10 cards for the T2i. However, the fact that Michael has had good success with Class 4 up until now might indicate that perhaps you can get by with Class 6 cards...or perhaps not.

If it was me I would get Class 10 Transcend. But maybe that's just me. You can do however you like :)

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Aug 3, 2010 at 8:08:25 pm

Thank you for the help. I really do appreciate it. I'll check the cards when I get home in a couple of hours. A Canon rep visiting the store where I bought it picked out the card for me, so I'd like to think he knew what he was doing... but it seems for the sake of my issues I should hope he didn't. That would be a much easier fix!

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Aug 3, 2010 at 11:32:26 pm

Ideally card should have a min speed of 38.5mbps ( this what the camera writes at) or more say Sandisk Extreme IV. However, if you have an Image Stablized lens on the 5D , turn off the IS when on a tripod. Always pan smoothly, according to Canon Australia the Canon 70-200 mm is the only lens with a horizontal stablizer and you may have some movement of the pixels in panning. We now use a 28-135mm Canon IS lens for all 1920 x 1080 Pal @25fps video and have just come back from Tibet and China with broadcast quality video out of Premier Pro editing to pro tape. We find the L Series Pro lens are too heavy to hand hold, in any case the stabilizer in Premiere will fix any slight movement.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Aug 4, 2010 at 4:50:03 pm

Well I think I might be wearing the dunce cap... it might actually have something to do with my computer. My cards are definitely fast enough. Delkin CompactFlash PRO, 45mb - 63mb/sec. But I was testing some HDV footage and was seeing the same thing. I think my processor's just not keeping up with the footage or something. If its not one thing its another!

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 4, 2010 at 5:00:32 pm

What is your processor/system?

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 4, 2010 at 5:25:34 pm

>>Well I think I might be wearing the dunce cap...

Well don't feel alone. I cannot count the number of times I have said, "Dohhh!" :)

What is your processor/RAM, and your NLE?

And can you convert to Cineform .avi/mov, or ProRes? It makes the file sizes less compact, and therefore easier for the processor to handle on the fly.

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Aug 4, 2010 at 6:58:22 pm

Yea, I did convert it to ProRes... I'm on a 2.26 eight-core (dual quads) on FCP 7, output via Matrox MXO2 LE. Actually, on the monitor it seems fine... it was on the computer screen where it was funky.

On ProRes... I've been doing a lot of tests with it because I've read up on everything and know I should use it, but haven't really used it in the past... However I'm noticing that my compression to distributors (like transport streams and such) are taking longer on the ProRes files. So are all the speed benefits just within the render and export in FCP?

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:37:05 pm

>>However I'm noticing that my compression to distributors (like transport streams and such) are taking longer on the ProRes files. So are all the speed benefits just within the render and export in FCP?

I wish I could answer that, but I am on a PC with Cineform and Vegas. However, I think they are similar animals.

On a PC with Vegas and Cineform .avi, you can preview more layers in real time, because the processor does not have to uncompress the files at the time of the playback. I believe ProRes is the same.

Sounds like you've got a killer machine. Compressed or uncompressed, I don't know why you would not be able to get realtime playback.

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:44:44 pm

If you knew the tech problems I've had in the last few months, you wouldn't even talk to me on this thread for fear of catching my computer luck. I'll probably figure something out... doesn't look like its anything to worrisome.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:22:19 pm

Ryan,
Sometimes the temp Folder for the computer becomes overloaded.

Go to the Windows Explorer address and type in %temp% go to Temp Folders and click "DELETE" ???????????????????????

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Aug 5, 2010 at 10:02:02 pm

Well, my son runs Final Cut on a Mac, and frankly he has run into lenghty render problems which seem to be improved by using IMovie would you believe. I use a Dell Precision Quad Core with a Nvidia FX3800 video card and have no problems.However, a 128MB x16 Radeon X300 will still produce smooth video although slower in an older 3.2Ghz Hyper-threading computer., try a Free Download of IMovie if you can get it.Or alternatively, Premiere Elements 8 ??????????
Good luck !

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Sep 2, 2010 at 9:56:11 pm

BTW, if anyone comes across this... it was definitely just a FashCard issue. My two 16gb delkin drives start glitching after 5gb... got a 64gb wintec card, filled that whole bad boy up without issue.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 2, 2010 at 10:04:36 pm

Ryan,

Check out my previous comments re not using the Image Stablizer on a tripod.We use 25 fps Pal hand held 28-135 mm Canon IS lens and a Sandisk UDMA 45 Mbs card for most travel video without any problems.

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]