FORUMS: list search recent posts

Critique my T2 setup

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Young
Critique my T2 setup
on Jul 31, 2010 at 2:58:17 pm

I'm about to get my first check from my first freelancing job. Then I am putting all that money towards buying a Canon T2 setup.

Here it is: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/wl/3609E323F8

I am looking for some feedback on the setup I have put together, including but not limited to...
  • Am I spending the right proportions on the right equipment? Should I go cheaper on some equip to spend more on other gear?
  • Is there anything else you would suggest for a basic setup to go out and start shooting tomorrow?

I plan on adding more to the setup as more money comes in.
Thanks very much for the help. I also must say that the people on this forum have helped me out so much. Really a great resource.

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Critique my T2 setup
on Jul 31, 2010 at 6:16:34 pm

John, that's a great list of gear to start off with, you made fine choices, can't critique a thing. Of course you will continue to add to your setup over time but this is a solid foundation you've created. Well done.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 1, 2010 at 12:50:31 am

one thing I would consider is waiting on the 50mm until you can get the 1.4. you are duplicating the zoom lens with only a 1-1/3 stop difference. The focusing ring on the 1.4 will be much better in manual also.

Also also of the big guns are recommending Transcend 6x cards. Believe they are cheaper.

But looks like a solid foundation.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 1, 2010 at 3:37:06 am

And let me say that this is a cool way to have us critique someone's wish list and at the same time giving us ideas. Not that we can find a single vendor to provide all the gear we need but it was cool looking at the list and comparing it to my own sensibilities.

Cool idea.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on Aug 1, 2010 at 3:29:43 pm

You will need to add a variable ND filter for your lenses. The build of the 50 1.8 is really cheap although the image is okay. The 1.4 focus ring would be better for video work. Focusing from the rear window alone is difficult in daylight. Available finders are really useful for that.

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory
http://www.commercialfactory.com

Return to posts index

Darrell Beck
on Aug 1, 2010 at 11:57:18 pm

You can save a TON of money by looking into used Nikon glass from the 80's. All you need is a $10 adapter to attach it to the T2i. I picked up a 50mm f1.4 for $62 and it is fantastic.

Consider generic batteries for the T2i from eBay. I picked up a few and they are just as good as the Canon brand. I think I paid about $10 each.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Aug 2, 2010 at 12:24:28 am

wireless lav may be overkill?

I'd get a rails and mattebox over the wireless lav (just go for hard wired lav to start... unless you need run and gun). And if you needed run and gun.. then you'd need a shoulder mount.

Wirless lavs often overkill for many

Look at genus matteboxes

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Darrell Beck
on Aug 2, 2010 at 12:52:47 am

Hi Richard,

Can you educate me on the use of a matte box? I have never used one, but everyone seems to consider it a necessity. For me, if I plan to use a filter, I would much rather apply the look in post. It is easier to add a filter in post than remove one if you shot with one in front of the lens, and later decide not to use it. I can see the advantage of removing lens flair, but matte boxes are very expensive and there seems to be other ways to protect the lens from lights.

Some of my best work comes from being discrete and working with a small camera. Matte boxes prevent all that. I am often attaching my camera to a light stand to get high creative b-roll, or down at the floor, or on an inexpensive slider. If I had a matte box, I just do not think I would ever use it.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 2, 2010 at 5:47:03 pm

First and foremost they are extremely versatile lens shades. Anytime direct light hits the lens from an angle you get flare and loss of contrast. Flare is easy to spot but loss of contrast is not. So a hood with flags goes a long way to block out this unwanted light. For shooting out side or concert type situations a hood is a must. Then most work on rails and have multiple filter folders. One hood and one set of filters works for all your lenses. There is a quickness to well designed matte boxes.

That said they are also a big ticket item, I have not purchased one but I have cheap rubber hoods that are always on my lenses. They do 90% of the job for a couple of bucks. Eventually I plan to get a good matte box but that is a while down the road.

Bottom line, your lenses need hoods!

Return to posts index

John Young
on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:50:47 pm

Do I understand it correctly that the 7D is able to shoot 60fps, which when played at 30fps, is essentially overcranking? If the T2 does not have that frame speed, it might be worth the extra money. Esepcailly if Darrell Boeck is right and I can save more with used lenses and an adapter(although you do loose some funcitonality with an adapter).

Also is there a big difference between 7D and T2 in terms of overheating. Hypothetically if I want to shoot documentary style and have the camera rolling alot, would that be a problem with the T2?

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 3, 2010 at 6:14:57 am

Nope, 7D and T2i have the same settings for video, they both have a 1280x720 60p (and 50p), 1080p only does up to 30p (and 25 and 24p).

I have tried a little 720p and was not liking it at all. gravel, leaves and bark wiggle a ton, if you have any patterns in the scene watch out.

But 30p gives you that cool Lucy Lu look when played back at 24p

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]