FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D and audio

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian hoven
7D and audio
on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:08:46 pm

Hey.. My 7d is on order. I'm selling my Nikon D90 and Panasonic DVX for it. I have a couple mics (shotgun and lav) with XLR connections.

My question is this. what the hell do i do? :)

Do i get one of those Zoom recorders and sync in post? Or a beachtek thingamabob? With the beachtek - do i then plug that into the camera? or is that recorded separately too?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Neil Abeynayake
Re: 7D and audio
on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:43:34 pm

Brian,

There are many ways of achieving what you intend to do. However, there was a excellent posting by another forum user (Ryan Koo) a few days ago.

Here is the link to: The DSLR Cinematography Guide

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/280/234

"Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else".

Confucius

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jan 26, 2010 at 10:45:07 pm

Brian

My pref at the moment is to use an external digital auto recorder like the Zoom H4N and record directly to that. I still record audio the camera but only as reference. Then in post (I"m on FCP) I use Plural Eyes to sync the audio from the H4n. Works great!

If that workflow is not for you as you suggest you can use an microphone preamp to connect your microphones (and use phantom power) as well as control level and monitor directly form the the preamp. Some of these units can even override the AGC on the camera.

Beachtek is very popular but I've found the unit to be very very noisy. My personal preference if you want to go the preamp route is to get a JuicedLinked. Much better sounding audio in my opinion.

And yes these units still connect via the mini stereo plug to your camera.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Brian Baker
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:13:46 pm

Hi Tomi,

Could you share a picture of your 7D rig with the JuicedLink please? This is an option I'm considering for my 7D kit -- but I'm not sure how favorable it would be to hand-held, run-and-gun shooting.

Thanks!

-- Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]