FORUMS: list search recent posts

CANON 1Dmk4 via USB and FCP Plug-in errors (.thm files not available)

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
singleton makin
CANON 1Dmk4 via USB and FCP Plug-in errors (.thm files not available)
on Jul 30, 2010 at 8:05:45 pm

Hello

I am having a challenge with my Canon 1EOS Mark IV, while hooking up via USB cable from the camera.

when uploading the MOV files I am not finding the .THM files that the Final Cut Pro Plug needs.

The funny part is when I hook up my SX200IS CANON camera I get those properly, .MOV and .THM files both in the appropriate CANON DCIM folder.

I have loaded movies from my friends 5D but not from the MarkIV as I just got this camera.

I think I used my friends CARD reader when he was over testing the 5D with Final Cut Pro.

I do not have a current CARD READER that will work with the NEWER FASTER UDMA card.

What is going on here? Can anyone else tell me why the CARD will not MOUNT as a HD on my LAPTOP?
I am running Snow Leopard (current version)
I went to CANON website and I have found a FIRMWARE update, but there is nothing on the list of fixes the firmware will remedy.

Is this problem just the CAMERA hooked up via USB cable?

I greatly appreciate any information or leads about how I can fix this problem?

thanks again...

singleton

Singleton Makin
"observe the masses and do the opposite!"

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: CANON 1Dmk4 via USB and FCP Plug-in errors (.thm files not available)
on Jul 31, 2010 at 8:52:07 pm

Yeah it sounds to me like trying to use your camera as a card reader is not fully successful, you'll have to get a card reader.

Return to posts index

singleton makin
on Aug 14, 2010 at 9:26:53 am

Yes. I agree. I believe now from the other reads, that it is a card reader issue, vs. using the camera as card reader.

It is really stupid, I understand that most people are not going to use their camera all the time for uploading their content, but come on.

Why did it work on my wife's little SD900 CANON camera? that uses SD media and not on my CANON big FLAGSHIP MARK IV thing?

Sometimes I feel like the 5d or the 7d can do more easily and cheaper like the remotes are cheaper, and this issue of using the UDMA card I assume is the reason that this has become such a bother.

I do not see getting the QIO by Sonnet but I have one p2 card. and over here on the canon one UDMA card. oh and one SDHC card, that at the time I was using it in the Nikon D90 as a card reader. I had no issues. It is a CANON thing.

I was going to upgrade to a new card reader as the old SD slot on an HP printer wouldn't read the SDHC so I hem and hawed as I didn't need it, I used the NIKON D90. simple. one card. one camera...quick.

but, now I am wanting to get the best investment without going overboard.

Does anyone know if the Qio by Sonnet would be a great investment for MULTI-CARD reader into the FUTURE? when the next SLOT gets replaced by another format? (I am talking about the APPLE laptop that went from 54 size to 34 size now to SDHC size.)

Now as I see only Delkin makes a professional cheap solution.
But, when I look at the Qio I get big eyes as that thing expands your eSata as well (I have 2 eSata Raids that could be utilized, but I also have the EXPRESS eSata card by Sonnet 34, that I do not know how it fits into this equation.)

I would rather spend a cheap card reader now, to get this solution working quickly, but I would love to hear what brands people are using?

I can't find any at BEST BUY....that read UDMA

I appreciate any info...

sing

Singleton Makin
"observe the masses and do the opposite!"

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 14, 2010 at 4:00:46 pm

I think any new USB CF reader will work - tons of models under 20 bucks. For speed we picked up a Calumet firewire 800 CF reader - transfers about 3 to 4 times faster than our USB reader.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CM6030/

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]