FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying question: Canon T2i

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zack hill
Buying question: Canon T2i
on Jul 29, 2010 at 10:29:07 pm

Hello, I am a videograher / editior who shoots P2 with an HVX200A, and am interested in getting into shooting video with a DSLR camera. I have been pricing out the T2i versus the 7D and am leaning towards the T2i primarily because of the price break, but looking for any advice wether I should wait (something new coming out??) or go with the 7D because of quality.

From what I have read the video capabilities are identical, but the 7D has better image quality?
I will be using this camera primarily for hand held b-roll at events and would like to use it for water footage as well (surfing).

Any insight would be very appreciated!
Thanks
Zack

Macbook Pro
HVX200a
FCP Studio 3
http://www.zeechproductions.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Buying question: Canon T2i
on Jul 29, 2010 at 10:40:59 pm

The T2i came out earlier in the year so I would not expect to see a new version soon. I'm not sure if they make a under water housing for it yet but I would not be surprised considering how popular this camera is. Take a look at the Great Camera Shootout. They said the video quality of the 7D was the same as the T2i. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
on Jul 30, 2010 at 2:05:40 am

The 7D gives you a faster frames per second for photos, but irrelevant for video. As you said, materials in the 7D are more solid, but I haven't heard of people having problems with the lighter weight T2i.

The 7D is more weather-resistant so you have to be more careful outdoors and the preferred video ISOs of 160, 320, 640, etc. are not selectable with the T2i as they are with the 7D. (The metadata shows that the T2i is capable of shooting with those, but only in auto ISO which is not recommended for video.)

For me, I chose the T2i and put the savings into better lenses.

Bill

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 30, 2010 at 6:21:36 pm

I have the T2i because of the price, if I had the money I would have gotten the 7D for the build. That being said I am completely happy with the T2i, The body is the lest expensive part of the system, it is just a start. I have spent that $1K I saved on the body on lenses, and stuff to make the camera work as a video camera, and I'm not done yet.

Zack, you state that you will be using the T2i (and this goes for every DSLR) as a handheld. Well you most buy some extra gear to make it work well. First make sure you are getting IS lenses. The problem is right now you have to spend big bucks to get faster constant aperture lenses that also have IS built into them. Both are needed for video handheld work. Then you will also want to get a sholder rig of some type and they range from $300-3000.

Search the forum and there is a lot of discussion on equipment options. WIth DSLR the spending never stops.

Return to posts index

zack hill
on Jul 30, 2010 at 6:43:07 pm

Thanks so much guys for your input!
It is all very helpful!
I am going to make the purchase, I believe from the Apple website, 900.00 for the kit with the 18 to 55 unless you guys have another suggestion as to where to purchase. I only choose apple over B&H because of the fast shipping and its very close to where I live.
Thanks again guys!
cheers
zack

Zack Hill

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Jul 30, 2010 at 7:33:44 pm

The kit lens with the T2i is awful. If you're saving money by getting the T2i over the 7D, put the savings into better glass.

--
Meteor Tower Films
We make music videos, design video for live theater, and build interesting contraptions.

Return to posts index

zack hill
on Jul 30, 2010 at 9:05:17 pm

Any reccomendations for a good stater lens?
thanks!
zack

Zack Hill

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
on Jul 30, 2010 at 10:48:56 pm

Zack,

I agree the kit lens is awful, but it's also only an additional $100. Sell it or use it when you're just "banging around".

Michael's correct regarding the IS and constant aperture for zooms. It's impossible to recommend a lens because it depends on what you'll be doing with it. Canon's L series lens are fantastic, but you have to budget for them. The 70-200mm L series is very versatile, but I would stick with the IS; you'll then have to decide whether you really need the extra stop of light the f/2.8 gives you over the f/4 model– there is a huge price and weight difference.

The 24-70mm f/2.8 has the versatility, but no IS yet. For primes, I like the 50mm f/1.2 (don't get the f/1.8) and the 100mm macro. I don't like the 85mm f/1.2 because of the focus ring for video. Once you see the prices of these lenses, you'll have to decide what you are going to shoot most and get the one or two lenses that will best fit for now.

Also, don't forget that both the 7D and the T2i have a 1.6x crop factor which means that all of the focal lengths of the lenses will have to be multiplied by that amount to get the true 35mm equivalent (for example, the 50mm on a 5D is 50mm, on the 7D it's really 80mm).

Bill

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 3, 2010 at 6:23:19 am

Apple will most likely charge you tax where as B&H doesn't.

You should be able to get the camera only for $800;

I just ordered this lens, I think it is a good compromise. The IS is huge for video, the range is great, the glass is great, to go down to a 2.8 I would have to give something else up. Also I want to upgrade to the 7D eventually, with that camera and this lens I can shoot in the rain, that there is nothing better than that! This is one great lens that will probably be on my camera 75% of the time. If I need faster I have old Nikon primes that I can use.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/ef...

This would be my second choice. Faster, less zoom but still has the IS, about the same price.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/ef...

Glass is not cheap and it is probably more important that the camera.

Return to posts index

zack hill
on Aug 13, 2010 at 11:58:52 pm

Thanks for all the info guys!
Still deliberating but I did play around with the t2i today- pretty sweet little deal!
zack

Zack Hill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]