FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing External Audio in post to match DSLR

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Syncing External Audio in post to match DSLR
on Jul 26, 2010 at 3:49:50 pm

I have a shoot coming up next week where I am seriously thinking about shooting it with my Nikon D90. I have a ZOOM H4N portable audio recorder to record audio from people I plan to interview. My question is more of a editing question. How hard is it or will it be to sync the audio I would be recording with the Zoom with the video of the the D90? I do have "Pluraleyes" and I can see if that will sync it up for me if need be.

Thanks

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: Syncing External Audio in post to match DSLR
on Jul 26, 2010 at 4:00:57 pm

I usually sync audio manually by matching up waveforms with the on-camera audio. Never had any trouble at all and it just takes a second. Slate the shots with a clapperboard and line it up that way if it makes you feel more comfortable; that's how the film guys have always done it.

Everyone I know that uses PluralEyes loves it, though I've never tried it.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Jul 26, 2010 at 5:13:32 pm

I had a two cam shoot and an H4N, and synching them up was easy. I don't know how you do it in your NLE, but in Vegas you just line up the clap-board spikes, then go to the end of the recordings, grab the lower right-hand corner of the track, press CTRL, and it allows you to stretch or shrink the length without altering the pitch. It took maybe five minutes, tops (first time).

I don't want to argue NLE's, but I had an editor doing it in FCP and he said it was very difficult, and that he needed PluralEyes to do it. I don't know if it really was harder in FCP or if he just did not know how to do it, but in Vegas it was a snap.

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 26, 2010 at 5:33:18 pm

Well I use FCP and I have never needed to stretch one stream to match the other. If you are shooting correctly that is a step that should never be done. Lining up clapper spikes is super easy and quick. Pluraleyes really comes in handy if you have a a lot of short clips and no clapper or if one camera is stopping and stopping and the other is running continuously. You can still match up the waveform but the spike makes it so much quicker.

Have any of you PC guys tried DualEyes? The replace audio in movie seems like it would be a great feature. Of course movie files should be backed up before doing anything like that. But that would really make the editing process cleaner.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Jul 26, 2010 at 5:40:06 pm

>>Well I use FCP and I have never needed to stretch one stream to match the other. If you are shooting correctly that is a step that should never be done.

I have two prosumer cams and one DSLR. The two-cam shoot was with the two prosumer cams (HF S10's). After 1:48:48;01 Camera B was one frame after Camera A, and the H4N was 6 frames after Camera A.

I probably did not need to match up the two cams, but I did anyway; and six frames seemed like two much to leave.

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Jul 26, 2010 at 5:42:34 pm

*too* much to leave

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Jul 27, 2010 at 12:35:08 am

Thanks for the great responses. I do use Final Cut Pro so I am gonna do some run throughs before my shoot and practice lining up the spikes and so forth.

Thanks again!!
Chuck

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Jul 27, 2010 at 2:29:19 am

Hi Chuck,

Please check beforehand if your D90 records in 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz and then choose the same setting for recording on your Zoom H4N.

I use Canons, so for me it's all 48 kHz.

Richard van den Boogaard
cameraman / editor / video marketing consultant

Branded Channels
W: http://www.brandedchannels.com

Return to posts index

Mike Solmon
on Jul 29, 2010 at 2:04:29 am

Link to pluraleyes and dual eyes linked in responses: http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html. I've personally used pluraleyes and it worked ok for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]