FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Do You Archive Canon 5D/7D Projects?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Salimes
How Do You Archive Canon 5D/7D Projects?
on Jan 23, 2010 at 1:30:18 am

I need to keep "uncompressed" raw versions of all my completed projects for future use; blu-ray, conversion to other formats, etc.

So I've been archiving all of my 7D projects in Apple ProRes; since it's the format I use to edit them with. The files are usually huge and a pain to find space for. It just occurred to me though that since the footage comes out of the camera as H.264 that I could export and archive in that (MUCH smaller) format and not be losing any image quality.

Am I right? What do you guys do? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: How Do You Archive Canon 5D/7D Projects?
on Jan 23, 2010 at 2:13:15 am

Archive Original

Also Archive a media managed version of show

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
Re: How Do You Archive Canon 5D/7D Projects?
on Jan 23, 2010 at 6:49:43 am

Jon,

What Richard said. Archive Original, but save the final show elements. If your using FCP (which it looks like you are) use Media Manager to trim the fat and only keep the footage you need. But also keep the original clips. These are smaller and unprocessed (except by the camera).

Also, be careful about storing on hard drives for long periods of time. HDD fail. See my notes here..http://jumpcutpictures.com/backup/backup.html

Hope that helps.

Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]