FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making a transfer to 35mm from 7d footage.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Dunnet
Making a transfer to 35mm from 7d footage.
on Jul 19, 2010 at 11:55:12 pm

Hi everyone! I´m new to this forum officially, but you have been great help to me in the past. i have a quick question from Mexico:

I just shot a short on the 7d, and i´m trying to make a film print to send to festivals, when i called the lab that does that kind of thing here in mexico city the guy asked me some questions that i do not know the answer to:

1- He asked me if my video is "conformado" already. I looked around but couldn´t find a translation. Does "conforming" your video before a transfer make any sense to you guys?

2- he wants a "MO Disk", what is that? Where do I get it?

3- What is the difference between an Internegative and interpositive print?

Any help you can give me with this would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am aware that you are supposed to pic specific forums. I couldn´t find one that perfectly matched, but if you guys know which one I need to go to, I would be glad to switch.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Making a transfer to 35mm from 7d footage.
on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:33:30 am

whoa- MO disk is a really old optical disc recording format- who uses those anymore? Sounds like the lab is a bit behind the times. Conformed= an online version and another term/technology that's a bit out of use. Any current lab should be able to take say a ProRes HQ or uncompressed HD version on hard drive and derive a film print off that. No 'conforming' or MOs required.

If you can swing it- I'd suggest contacting some labs in the US such as Technicolor or Fotokem, which are a lot more modern with digital to film transfers. Also you should keep in mind for 99% of most festivals a BetaSP/DigiBeta or HDCAM tape print is fine for screening. Very few festivals in 2010 and beyond *require* a film print anymore.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Gareth Dunnet
on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:56:52 am

Thanks Noah!

I was a bit worried, not knowing what those things were. I will definitely check out those labs you mentioned.

What about the Internegative, Interpositive deal?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jul 20, 2010 at 1:16:17 am

Interneg/pos are intermediate formats - interneg = intermediate negative. Meaning they will print your show as a 35mm negative and then you can strike prints (positives) from the interneg as needed. Interpos would still need a interneg to make prints from.

I think like Noah has stated, check with a state of the art lab here in LA - they should be able to strike prints as needed without an interneg or interpos from your digital master.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Fito Pardo
on Jul 20, 2010 at 7:10:13 am

Can you send me an email? I can help you on this subject, I can tell you who to call in Mexico city about this problem, also if you want to talk spanish with me is perfect I am based in Mexico City.

So tell me, you just shot a Feature Film on the 7D?, I am shooting a Feature Film on the 5D in Mexico City.

Ok send me a Line to my email:
cinematograf@me.com

DP, Fito Pardo, A.M.C.
http://www.cinematograf.com

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 20, 2010 at 10:43:20 pm

Hey that's cool, I hope you two do indeed get together, forums like this are great for making professional connections!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]