FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D and overheating with video

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian hoven
7D and overheating with video
on Jan 22, 2010 at 12:37:30 am

I'm about to purchase a 7d. I'm curious about teh overheating issue.

How long can you shoot video before overheating occurs? And how long do you need to wait to begin shooting again?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: 7D and overheating with video
on Jan 22, 2010 at 2:43:57 pm

I've only seen it when shooting 60P... and only once.

But this is a film style camera for takes and scenes... not long event coverage.

With that said... we've shot a 2 hour concert with no issues multiple times

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

brian hoven
on Jan 22, 2010 at 3:33:46 pm

When you shot the 2 hr event - did you have to stop here or there? or was it continuous?

thanks

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jan 22, 2010 at 3:51:34 pm

well you can't shoot 2 hours continuous even if you wanted too. Canon DSLRs have a current limit of 12min or 4GB per file. So over a 2 hour event you have to stop recording and the start again. But this stop start can go very fast (as fast as you can push the button) All the camera needs is a small second of break.

As Rich said though if you're thinking that you're going to be doing a lot of event work a traditional HD video camera might be a better option

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Paolo Esposito
on Feb 4, 2010 at 5:52:46 am

Hi, Richard I am just about to buy the 7D for some short film and documentary work. But I will be asked by my superiors to cover some long events (about 1hr) I am really interested in knowing how you cover the 2hr concert power wise and media wise, did you record on external media via HDMI? or found a trick to format the cards in a non FAT32 format (maybe HFS o NTFS? thought the camera couldn't handle non FAT formats...) If you found a way to get past the 4GB cap size per clip that would be so awesome. Also would like to know how you kept the camera on for that long, Multiple batteries or a AC power source?

Thank you in advance for your time and keep up the great all the great work you do.

Regards

Paolo

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 4, 2010 at 6:21:53 am

Not sure if DSLR's are the best choice for longform live events. Best bet would be to use Sony EX3's or something similar and then use the DSLR as a floater - to buzz around the event for special more intimate shots, close-ups, shots with shallow focus etc.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Paolo Esposito
on Feb 4, 2010 at 1:50:06 pm

Yes, I totally understand that and agree, the thing is that we are working with a very small budget, and like I said, long events wont be the main use, just a few a year. Just cant afford a EX3 and 7D at the same time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]