FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Problem!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Navarro
Compressor Problem!
on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:17:40 am

Hello,

I have a big problem! I took my footage from my Canon T2i and put it into Compressor. I chose the Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) codec, so that I could edit the footage in Final Cut Pro. For some reason after I compressed the clips I needed to the audio on all of them were gone! I don't know what happened or how to get them back! Anyone know what happened and how to get them back?! This is for my sisters wedding next week and I am stuck with this problem! Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: Compressor Problem!
on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:30:28 am

Do you have a back up of the original media? I doubt you overwrote the original media since you have work at it at a bit in compressor because of the way it names files by default.

Obvious question are you positive your original media has audio?

When you say you chose pro res you choice an apple preset? So Advanced Format Conversions > Apple Codecs > Apple ProRes 422 for Progressive material (either HQ or normal)? The thing about those presets is that they're pass through for both frame rate and audio so did you create a new ProRes preset and not do audio pass through?

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

James Navarro
on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:55:59 am

Hey Robbie! Thanks for the reply! This is what I did: after I shot these clips I connected my camera to my computer and it directly transfered all my pictures and clips into iphoto. The way I put it into compressor was I dragged the media from iphoto into compressor and then I went into the Quicktime Folder in Compressor and chose Apple ProRes 422 (HQ). I hit submit and renamed the clip.

I am sure I have audio with the media. When I played the clips before compressing, they had audio, but afterwards, audio is gone!

I did not compress using the advanced format conversions folder, is that a problem? I am sorry, I am new to this.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 13, 2010 at 4:03:04 am

[James Navarro] "I am sure I have audio with the media. When I played the clips before compressing, they had audio, but afterwards, audio is gone! "
Are you saying that audio is gone off of the source clips, the H264 clips or the Converted clips?

Use the preset

Settings>Formats>Other Workflows>Advanced Format Conversion> Apple Codecs>ProRes for Progressive Material - don't use (HQ)
That setting will pass the audio on to the new file with no conversion.

Return to posts index

James Navarro
on Jul 13, 2010 at 4:34:48 am

Hey Michael, thanks for your input! I think the audio from the clips are pretty much gone! I believe the audio is gone completely from the H264 clips and the converted clips. I try to play them from the original location in iphoto and there is no audio still! I don't no what else to do or how else to go back and find the original. I had the clips in final cut pro before converting and now they have the red slash on the clips!
Thanks for your interest!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 13, 2010 at 6:31:35 am

There is no way that compressor strips out audio. It just doesn't happen. Red slashes in FCP mean the clips are offline. As in they have been moved. You would reconnect the clips.

If you got have the h264 files on the card or copied in another place, they are what they are. I would not use iPhoto to off load my cards. I copy the entire card to a it's own folder, and I keep the folder structure in tact. The FCP plugin needs the additional file to bring in the files as ProRes. This process also gives you a working copy of the media, adds TC to the clips and you can add info and notes to the clips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]