FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good all around video lens..?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony gomez
Good all around video lens..?
on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:51:41 am

so i have the info i got from my last ad.... I do have lot of reading..
I shot footage on my 70-300 Telephoto lens.. realized.. not good for close up shots..(too close to subject) as far as my stock lens.. I thought it looked great.. but then again..(ofcourse not knowing what other lenses look like) . and what do I know about DSLR and lenses.... I'm looking either to buy one since my shoot is this weekend.. or to rent one.. which one do you use the most? i looked at a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM from rentglass.com but they are all out..
oh..and lensprotogo.com $65 for two weeks.. shipping included.. not bad at all.. oh.. and cameralensrental.com $67 for 20 something days..

thanx again..

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Good all around video lens..?
on Jul 12, 2010 at 3:54:17 pm

Use for what-? There's no such thing as one size fits all lens. Do you shoot sports, are you shooting docs, portraits? Handheld- IS, or tripod? Tell us what you're shooting and we can give better reccs.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

tony gomez
on Jul 12, 2010 at 4:21:53 pm

Music. Videos. And movies. So tripod shots yes. Crane shots yes. And steadycam. Moving shots yes... Is this to much to ask of one lens?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 12, 2010 at 4:35:12 pm

I believe you have the Canon 7D so I am going to suggest for you the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM which will give you everything from a wide shot to a nice portrait style shot with shallow depth of field.

Zooms are technically not as sharp as prime lenses but for video I don't think that matters nearly as much since we aren't looking for sharpness (in fact it is often recommended to turn the sharpness setting all the way down in the camera settings menu)

It will be more expensive to rent no doubt but a very versatile lens that will give you lots of framing options.

Otherwise just get something like a 35mm (which will act more like a 50mm on your 7D) or maybe the Canon 50mm 1.4 lens. Since you can't zoom, you will have to use your body to get the exact framing you want but that's okay.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 12, 2010 at 7:55:11 pm

Agree with that lens but that is not very wide, especially on a 7D. But for nice Med to CU it is great. You can always shoot to your lens, meaning you stick with what you got and make it work but that is a serious compromise. There is a reason most people carry several lenses.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:35:52 pm

yeah and the Canon EOS lenses are so cheap (relatively speaking) I can think of no reason not to carry at least a few. If you plan on shooting every shot on one slow mid-range zoom what's the point of getting an interchangeable lens camera in the first place? :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:11:51 pm

Guys, you're missing the point.

He's making a MUSIC video, for heaven's sake! And here you are guiding him to simple professional lenses that are used all the time to get sweet, clear, appropriate video of stuff? How lame is that!

Dude, you need the weirdest, least stock lenses you can find. Find a big photo house with a LOT of lenses - then grab the ones with the MOST DUST on them. Seriously

9 mm F11 Korean knockoff of a terrible Japanese super fisheye with massive vignetting? FABULOUS!
Broken Russian tilt-shift lens that requires five adaptor rings to step up or down from the actual lens mount - GROOVY!
Snorkle lens that the last renter failed to realize did not mean the device should be used underwater - and so the thing leaked and the interior glass is now coated with algae and small shelled creatures? MAKE ROOM ON YOUR SHELF RIGHT AWAY FOR THE MOON MAN, DUDE!

You're in the land where screw-ups are "artistic choices" and when things go terribly, horribly, embarrassingly wrong - if you just keep your mouth firmly shut and wait a few years, you can bet they'll be studying your "technique" in film school classes.

Have fun.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 13, 2010 at 12:25:48 am

ooooh got it- how about no lens at all then. Shoot right onto the sensor. Very funky look.

Noah

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:34:52 am

[Noah Kadner] "ooooh got it- how about no lens at all then. Shoot right onto the sensor. Very funky look. "

Brilliant! Dust on the sensor helps with that film grain emulation :)

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

tony gomez
on Jul 13, 2010 at 3:01:28 am

LOL..easy.. easy.. i threw myself into a project this weekend....New to this DSLR and lens thing..I just have the stock lens and the 70-300 lens.. just wanted to get a third lens.. or something descent that I can shoot a descent video with.. No crazy wild dance or ROCK video.. its just a smooth calm pop song.. So from what I understand closest thing i can get is Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM.... HOLY CRAP!!!!.. just checked the price .. this is over $1000.00.. RENTAL STUDIO>> HERE I GO!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 13, 2010 at 5:26:44 pm

yeah but that's the thing a couple of primes will outdo that lens at a lower price. Think like a filmmaker not a photographer. Filmmakers love to shoot primes because it's easy to switch over to a new lens between takes and you get much better quality. All but the most expensive zooms are compromises of optical quality and light sensitivity. Why sell yourself short, bring a camera bag and swap lenses.

Noah

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 13, 2010 at 9:39:48 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Think like a filmmaker not a photographer. "
And that is the key, think. This is why what lens do I need are so misleading. A master with a 50mm for outshoot a hack with a bag full of lenses. (not calling anyone here a hack) Why because he or she shoot while the capability of the equipment they have. they know what the lens can do. They find there voice with their equipment.

To throw in my 2 cents on zooms, many of the high-end $1-2K L lenses are not much of a compromise. Other than making your wallet a lot lighter. What they give you is speed, which maybe key to certain types of production. If you are shooting run and gun docs, have a 3x zoom many be crucial to getting the right shoot. So once again it comes down to find the right equipment for the job at hand and knowing how to use what you have.

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
on Jul 13, 2010 at 8:56:32 pm

Hi Noah: Check out these clips by Hunter Richards where he nearly does just about what you're saying. A cool but tricky effect:
http://www.vimeo.com/10532805

:-)

Return to posts index

Kim Segel
on Jul 16, 2010 at 11:18:36 am

Hilarious!

You forgot: "Leave the lens off, cover the hole with blackwrap, and poke a pinhole in it!"

Return to posts index

tony gomez
on Jul 17, 2010 at 7:05:15 pm

http://www.lensprotogo.com

I ended up renting .. $135.00 for two weeks.. shipping included.. not bad at all.. beats shelling out $1000.00..
boxed really well also

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 17, 2010 at 8:26:50 pm

You rented the 24-70mm, correct?

Can you give us a review? I'd be interested to know how hard or easy it was to focus and if you were able to easily get the shallow depth of field with it....I anticipate the answers to both questions will be very positive but I'd love to hear about your experiences, maybe you can post a HD clip on Vimeo or somewhere for us to take a look at.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jul 19, 2010 at 12:59:53 am

I in the process of research a T2i setup. Is Image Stabilization a must of the lenses?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:57:03 am

IS is great to have but a tripod will work just as well, don't sweat it

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]