FORUMS: list search recent posts

lens descriptions? for D7

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony gomez
lens descriptions? for D7
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:00:44 am

Since Im new to the DSLR scene..
what are the little lens differences? Numbers etc..
i have the stock lens and a 70-300 telephoto lens..
stock is just for general use.. right? no good for video
telephoto lens 70-300 is for landscape far away stuff..

Wide angle lens is for wide stuff..

so what lens do Iuse to get nice regular shots for movie..?
ive seen a few lenses but dont know what these numbers mean or what lens is for what situation..

thanx..

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
Re: lens descriptions? for D7
on Jul 8, 2010 at 11:16:07 am

Lenses to consider would be non zoom lenses, such as the Canon 50mm f1.4, or a 24mm for wider shots, or 85mm for slight telephoto.

I would suggest if you are new to the whole lens issue, is to try out the lenses you have and film at different focal lengths, so use the kit lens you have and see what you think of the different focal lengths it films at.

A good photography book would be worth the investment, so you could get an understanding of how lenses and apertures work together to give different effects to your images, such as depth of field.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:32:52 pm

Also the Canon lens catalog is handy:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcatego...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:38:59 pm

Lenses for the most part should not be put into a "does not work for" category. A 70-300 is fine for video if use correctly, on a tripod and if you need a zoom. There are things that make one lenses better than the other but you have to fit the lens to the need.

With small sensor cameras like the 7D or T2i 35mm would be considered the standard focal length, similar field of view as your eyes (on film and full sensor camera this is 50mm). So anything below that is wide angle, things look push back. Above 35mm are telephoto and things look closer. Not only does the focal length change the field of view, it changes the feeling of the picture. A CU of a face that fills the same area of the viewfinder with a 50mm or a 105mm lens will feel totally different. This is why this is no absolutes with use this for that, it is artist choices, you just need to learn by experience what works for you in a given situation. This is why photography and cinematography is an art form. Everyone can get lucky and capture a beautiful picture every now and then but a professional knows how to create the look he is after.

I sure there are a bunch of stuff online that goes into lenses. If you are new to all this it would be worth our time to do the research.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 8, 2010 at 6:19:14 pm

Also consider how fast a lens is and whether it has image stabilization- both of which are quite important when shooting DSLR video.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 8, 2010 at 8:55:49 pm

Yeah, I'm looking at the next lens I purchase and it is frustrating, most wides that are fast don't have IS, lenses with IS are variable f-stop, unless you spend the really big bucks to get what you need. I love this industry! Spend $5K outfitting a $800 camera. But the body is always the cheapest thing you buy.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 8, 2010 at 9:29:16 pm

yeah it goes back to the old sell them the blades give away the razor paradigm.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]