FORUMS: list search recent posts

several problems delted .THM files, frame rates and miniDV in 7D sequence

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Waldron
several problems delted .THM files, frame rates and miniDV in 7D sequence
on Jul 7, 2010 at 2:47:17 am

Hi there, I am new to the forum and new to the 7D work flow of footage.

I have several problems:

Firstly I have deleted some of my .THM files, whilst trans-coding the .mov files with missing .THM files will not work!! Very dumb I know but does anyone know how I can work with these files?

Secondly, I have the problem of editing all different frames rates and shutter speeds together. Is there a list of does and don't for such a task. Again I am new to this so though I should.

Finally, I am also using footage shot on miniDV tapes. When using two types of out (digital and miniDV) I am preempting FCP telling me that I my setting are wrong. This would occur when I drag and drop either file into a sequence with the other file already placed in the sequence.

I hope that made sense,

Thank you in advance

Samuel

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: several problems delted .THM files, frame rates and miniDV in 7D sequence
on Jul 7, 2010 at 6:21:41 am

[Samuel Waldron] "shutter speeds together"
That makes zero difference with editing, do you mean something else than shutter speed?

If you are on a Mac you can use Compressor or Mpeg Streamclip to convert the files to ProRes.

You don't say what software you are using but I will give the FCP answer. You need to convert everything to one frame rate for smooth editing. FCP really needs the same codec, frame resolution and frame rate. Anything that differs from the sequence setting will cause you to have to render at every step and most of the time quality suffers.

[Samuel Waldron] "Finally, I am also using footage shot on miniDV tapes. When using two types of out (digital and miniDV) I am preempting FCP telling me that I my setting are wrong. This would occur when I drag and drop either file into a sequence with the other file already placed in the sequence. " No idea what you are asking here.

Return to posts index

Samuel Waldron
on Jul 8, 2010 at 11:51:25 am

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply, warning, sorry for dumb questions that follow!!!

Yes I am on Mac and using Final Cut Pro 6.0.6. sorry.

No I did mean shutter speed, I was wondering if this changes things come editing, evidently not...told you I was knew, I guess the saying comes to mind...don't ask don't know.

The Pro-Res conversion, I was using was the 'EOS Movie Plugin-E1 For Final Cut'. IS this actually doing what I think it is doing, ie converting to Pro-Res.

Just to clarify Compressor or Mpeg Streamclip will do the same without the .THM files?

Ok...frame rates and codecs.

When you say I have to convert everything to the same frame rate how would I do that? Is that in FCP or is that another plugin/software?

Codecs...is this in relation to the two types of output, HD from the 7D and miniDV. I do not really mind if the miniDV has reduced quality, I am explaining the two types of footage in the film anyway so it may even be beneficial ;-). Can I convert the MiniDV footage to the same sequence setting or do something similar.

As I said thank you again and sorry for the questions

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 9, 2010 at 2:21:51 am

FCP nor any other NLE would not be able to know what shutter speed you shot the video with. It has zero effect on editing, it does of course effect the look of the video.

Yes, the plug, Compressor and Streamclip are all transcoding the clips to ProRes, the plug in adds time of day TC (if the camera's date and time has been set) but the file conversion is pretty much the same.

For frames rates you need to use Compressor and if quality is needed you turn on Frame Controls. In the video settings button make the framerate change, remember that 24p for video is actually 23.976 If you are going from 29.97p to 23.976p you just need to test things out.

As for the DV, if you up convert this it is going to look really soft unless you use specially plugins like InstantHD or you get it converted via hardware. It will still look soft but it would be better.

All that to say is you need to test out all the steps before you get into the edit.

Return to posts index

Samuel Waldron
on Jul 10, 2010 at 5:27:41 pm

Hi there thanks a lot I will have a go.

Very much appreciated.

Sam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]