FORUMS: list search recent posts

T2i workflow tips?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerald McLaughlin
T2i workflow tips?
on Jun 30, 2010 at 5:52:23 pm

Hello,

I am a videographer/editor shooting a camp and all its activities in Ontario for the summer. I just recently purchased a T2i to achieve this. My challenge is this....At home I have a sufficient suite for handling the material....at camp I have a 2 tb external hard drive and a macbook running fcp 5.1...In order to leave sufficient room on the hard drive for the summer, I must review the dailies, cut the fat, and try to output a high quality clip to the hard drive ..This version of FCP's relative timeline settings are AIC 720p 30 and AIC 1080i60... i am shooting in 1280x720 60...and putting the clips on a AIC 720p 30 timeline in order to trim it down and output for smaller file sizes....Am i off base or Is there a better workflow given these parameters...this is my first time posting after receiving many helpful enlightening tips in my video career due to this website and these forums...Thank you in advance...Gerald McLaughlin

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
Re: T2i workflow tips?
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:14:11 pm

I started to layout a workflow and just realized you were using FCP 5.1.

Are you editing while at camp or will you cut once you are back and have access to a suite with a newer version of FCP?

Return to posts index

Gerald McLaughlin
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:28:58 pm

Kris,
I have a proper suite at home that I will do the editing on. I am faced with having to do light editing to make sure i do not prematurely fill up my external, leaving me without any room for important events towards the end of camp. I feel I have to work within the given parameters of fcp 5.1 so that I can cut footage i don't need out of the clips and reduce file sizes and give me the exact footage I want while not filling up the external....5.1 timeline seemingly will only give me AIC 1280x720p 30 and 1080 i 60...the footage shot at 1280x720 60 seems to work on the timeline...just seems jerky sometimes, so i might be doing something wrong....or it is all in my head....thanks for your reply and your willingness to help me out...gratefully yours...Gerald McLaughlin

Return to posts index

Gerald McLaughlin
on Jul 1, 2010 at 1:54:18 pm

I believe I will shoot at 1920x1080i and convert it to 1280x720 30 so that it plays well on a 1280x720 30 timeline to cut up the footage, ensuring I have small file sizes for storage. I hope I am not losing any quality....An interjection if I'm on the wrong path would be tremendously appreciated.....Thank you, Gerald McLaughlin

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Jul 1, 2010 at 4:39:22 pm

You may want to wait to edit till you are able to transcode the footage to Prores codec. In the meantime you can offload your cards to your hard drive and take log notes and rough together an EDL for when you get to your suite.

Avoid the AIC if at all possible.

Return to posts index

Gerald McLaughlin
on Jul 1, 2010 at 9:29:48 pm

Thank you Kris...I will heed your advice. New technology and workflows have led me to new anxieties in trying to deliver for a client. I believe 2 tb of space will be sufficient if it is carefully managed.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 2, 2010 at 3:36:18 am

[Gerald McLaughlin] "1920x1080i "
These cameras don't shoot interlaced, everything is progressive. p

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 5, 2010 at 12:26:28 am

Bring another Hard Drive and just off-load the cards.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]