FORUMS: list search recent posts

You knew THIS was coming

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
You knew THIS was coming
on Jun 29, 2010 at 9:38:02 pm

Kind of off-topic, but kind of interesting: a guy sets aside his RED camera, and decides to shoot a commercial using his iPhone 4. You can only see 360 video on the iPhone itself, but can apparently connect to a PC and it outputs full 720p.

It's obviously going after something more like the Flip than the Canons and Nikons...but pretty interesting for a first try, and I think you guys are forward-thinking enough to have some interesting perspectives.

Whaddya think?

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: You knew THIS was coming
on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:21:09 pm

They said they shot the iPhone next to the Red. To bad they didn't show the Red version because I imagine it would have blown the iPhone version out of the water. Sorry Tim, I guess this means I'm not forward-thinking enough. But to think you could do basic editing on a iPhone is amazing. I remember joking about doing that not to long ago and here it is for reals. I started out deck to deck editing and loved the day I edited on a computer. It is amazing how fast technology is moving.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:39:15 pm

BTW- the 'on camera light' the iPhone 4 has is actually kinda usable for a tiny touch of fill/eyelight. Use it...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:10:55 pm

For most of the people who have some kind of knowledge of the production world, this video is far from perfect. But is it really aimed at these people? No. From a common viewer's point of view this is a pretty good video!

However that being said, we have to remember that it was a Pro who made this video even though it was made with an Iphone. Like so many other people say on this forum " It does'nt matter what the tool is, important thing is knowing how to use it and get the best results?

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:40:11 pm

You know what they say, Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 1, 2010 at 12:10:47 am

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should. "

Hah- and good luck enforcing that maxim in this production world... :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Jul 1, 2010 at 1:39:16 am

What? Next we're gonna have a new category, 'SmartPhone Video'? :/

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 1, 2010 at 10:53:53 pm

[Noah]

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should. "

Hah- and good luck enforcing that maxim in this production world... :)

Who said anything about enforcing that idea. I'm just a guy with an opinion. Anyone can choose to listen to it or not. I'm just saying you should do things to enhance a video. For example, I found the ariel shot very distracting. It wiggles like it is jell-o because of how the camera captures a frame. Did that shot help enhance the story being told? Did they even need an ariel shot? I think it is important to ask ourselves, what will better tell the story...not, lets do this because we can.
I say, if you want to shot a spot with an iPhone more power to you.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

jim cancil
on Jul 2, 2010 at 9:38:17 pm

... there was already a better one .. to my eye at least.

Jim

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 2, 2010 at 9:55:14 pm

Thanks for sharing. How much of it was shot on the iPhone? It has multi-camera interviews and you can see a camera operator not holding an iPhone. The reflection at 7 seconds does not look like an iPhone. Not that it matters, I think they mean it is all iPhone once the graphic says so. Would we be talking about how cool these videos where if they where not shot on an iPhone?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

jim cancil
on Jul 3, 2010 at 4:47:40 pm

Stephen: I am am about the last person who would be able to spot a ringer. Here's a partial posting on one of the major Mac blogs (TUAW, 30 June) that may explain better. It was my source.

"Here's another example: the Ducati motorcycle team filmed the entire commercial above on eight different iPhone 4s over a period of four days -- watching it in HD shows off just what this camera is capable of.

They did use the Owle Bubo, which explains some of the better shots a little bit. And you can also see that slight shudder so common to low-end HD cameras, especially when the camera pans quickly or tries to capture fast motion. But especially without color correction, the images still look terrific for a camera on your phone. The audio is great as well, but I'm not convinced they did that with only a phone. The final video was edited together in Adobe Premiere, just because "there were enough unknowns" without trying to use iMovie on iPhone for the first time."

Jim

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jul 3, 2010 at 9:53:40 am

I think the point is you can create and edit video that look like that...........on a flippin iphone!!!!

Like it or not, this is where alot production business be going....

Granted, it needs some work but if I were a producer and you pulled that spot off in a afternoon for half the cost, while sending a proof of the work over an iphone, you'd get my business.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 6, 2010 at 2:20:51 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone 4 is very cool. However, I don't see it as fulfilling production needs. Or rather, my production needs. One example, depth. How much better would those interviews had been with a blurred out background. The b-roll shot where he was hugging his girl. I kept looking at the background because it was just as sharp as the subject matter in the foreground. If given the tools a camera operator can help enhance storytelling instead of just pointing the camera in the right direction and hitting the record button. I say anyone who wants to shoot on their iPhone and miss out on a lot of camera functionality more power to you.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 6, 2010 at 3:44:42 pm

[Stephen Smith] "I say anyone who wants to shoot on their iPhone and miss out on a lot of camera functionality more power to you."

Good for you for adding the "more power to you." :-)

The piece Jim linked to really struck me. It wasn't a gimmick, like the producers of the piece I originally post admitted theirs was. This was a nice package, well written, well edited - they clearly had a specific thing in mind from the start, and executed. If you didn't know it was an iPhone, you wouldn't say, "Hmph, dang iPhone video."

You're right of course that they made some tradeoffs. Some of those could have been compensated for with even basic post - again, I was struck by their not having color corrected. That means no white balance. I assume natural lighting. Onboard audio? In any case, bare bones, and came out really well for the kind of on-location, run and gun piece that it was. Not just for an iPhone.

So after posting the original movie with a playful rolling of the eyes - not bad, but come on man - having been through DV, HDV, etc., and listening to the common response to DSLR video, I've now come to the place where I'm less interested in what's NOT possible with these cameras than what IS possible. What do these small-format cameras allow you to do that you couldn't do before, faster, cheaper, and maybe not at all?

After you start to answer that, what are the unique aesthetics that become possible? That is, beyond the crappy shaky "look, I'm using a cheap camera" nonsense that we saw so much of a few years ago.

Not that I'm advocating that everybody drop film for DSLRs, then drop those for iPhones - just thinking about what's possible when we add more brushes to the jar, more colors to the palette.

Since I acknowledged at the beginning that this was kind of off-topic, and that I can count on you kids to be thinking broadly, now I'm curious - anybody have some more links to good iPhone videos?

tw

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jul 6, 2010 at 8:43:37 pm

I've always said, "It's not what you point at it, it's what you point it at that counts".

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 6, 2010 at 9:11:32 pm

[Tim]
Not that I'm advocating that everybody drop film for DSLRs, then drop those for iPhones - just thinking about what's possible when we add more brushes to the jar, more colors to the palette.

Here is a camera that will get us attention on the next big shoot and looks more stylish then any film camera. :-) Barbie Video Girl Doll

In all seriousness, in my neck of the woods they are trying to turn news reporters into camera operators and editors. I wonder if we will see news reporters running around with iPhones in the not to far future.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 7, 2010 at 2:53:16 pm

Marvin,
Very true, there is a funny Mary Tyler Moore Show episode where a camera operator is sent out to get footage of a burning building and returns with a close up of ants.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

jim cancil
on Jul 8, 2010 at 12:39:36 pm

Stephen: It is not my trade (I mfg. canvas products..) but thinking about what you said: ".. trying to turn news reporters into camera operators and editors. I wonder if we will see news reporters running around with iPhones in the not to far future." Seems logical...

I could envision one of you with great editing skills becoming contract editors/production house for TV stations where the feed is sent to you 24/7 ...and you simply clean it up ..and ready it for air. Those local feeds could be bundled and sent to the Networks like AP feeds. It's not my business, but every business I know of is using more contractors to keep internal costs down.

Jim

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Jul 29, 2010 at 10:29:27 pm

With TV all but dead, stations cant afford the photog and reporter any more. The station I worked for already switched to all platform journalists. CNN, MSNBC, they rely heavily on viewers sending in video on these little contraptions. Videographer means nothing now. The iPhone makes complete sense where the content is the focus rather than the professionalism of the video. I'd rather shoot with a Red any day or a DSLR.... but every camera has its purpose or else they wouldn't be able to sell them. we should be asking what these inventions will do to the makeup of our society rather than the industry.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 29, 2010 at 10:51:25 pm

[ryan]
With TV all but dead, stations cant afford the photog and reporter any more. The station I worked for already switched to all platform journalists. CNN, MSNBC, they rely heavily on viewers sending in video on these little contraptions. Videographer means nothing now. The iPhone makes complete sense where the content is the focus rather than the professionalism of the video. I'd rather shoot with a Red any day or a DSLR.... but every camera has its purpose or else they wouldn't be able to sell them.

I agree.

[ryan]
we should be asking what these inventions will do to the makeup of our society rather than the industry.

I think this means we will finally see good footage of Big Foot. The problem has been that when someone sees him they don't have a camera handy. You always have your phone with you so the next time you spot him you can get some footage. :-) I mean, what if this guy had an iPhone instead of a big stick.

Get
Get

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Jul 30, 2010 at 3:36:48 pm

Totally! Big foot, you're screwed!

Return to posts index