FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best workflow for 7D and HVX

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Burghart
Best workflow for 7D and HVX
on Jun 29, 2010 at 12:36:03 am

Hi,
I've been working with the Canon 7D and the Panasonic HVX-200 for about 6 months now. I've tried several workflows and can't seem to find the perfect one. My ideal situation would be to capture the HVX and 7D footage as DVCPRO HD and still get to transfer the metadata from the 7D as timecode. Is that Possible? Here's what I've tried.

1.)
capturing HVX footage through FCP as DVCPRO HD, and using compressor to convert my 7D footage to DVCPRO HD. This worked and looked great, but was pretty time consuming, and I don't get the timecode on my 7D footage.

2.)
capturing HVX footage through FCP as ProRes 422 HQ, Capturing 7D through FCP as ProRes 422 HQ,
this is great with the added bonus of metadata as timecode. The problem is Pro Res 422 HQ has a way larger file size.

3.)
capturing HVX footage through FCP as DVCPRO HD, Capturing 7D through FCP as ProRes 422 HQ,
then using compressor to convert the 7D footage to DVCPRO HD. This get's me everything in DVCPRO HD + timecode on the 7D footage, but it takes forever.

Someone must have found a solution to this problem, I see people using these cameras side by side all the time. Any ideas.

Thanks a bunch.

Jake

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Best workflow for 7D and HVX
on Jun 29, 2010 at 1:38:39 am

7D does NOT have Timecode... you are merely assigning time of day

Pro Res HQ is overkill jut use normal ProRes

MPEG Streamclip faster than Compressor... slightly less expensive

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Jacob Burghart
on Jun 29, 2010 at 6:56:28 am

Yes. I understand 7D does not have timecode, Final Cut Pro reads the camera's metadata and makes a pretty good guess at giving your clips time of day time code. It's good enough to get an idea of a sync point when shooting time of day on the HVX. I understand this.

Pro Res HQ does seem like overkill, again something I know and part of my problem. However normal Pro Res doesn't cut it. I can see weird digital artifacting in the highlights when I use normal Pro Res.

The cost of compressor is irrelevant, it comes with FCP. While it may be faster, unless it can read the camera's metadata to assign time of day to the timecode field, it is useless to me.

Thanks for your reply, but my question still remains.

Is there an efficient way to capture 7D footage using the DVCPRO HD codec, while assigning a time of day to the timecode field?

Jake

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 29, 2010 at 9:34:21 pm

[Jacob Burghart] "Is there an efficient way to capture 7D footage using the DVCPRO HD codec, while assigning a time of day to the timecode field? "
The way you are doing it is the way to do it.

But a lot of people just make the sequence setting ProRes to match the ProRes footage and drop DVCProHD on it, this will edit fine and playback okay until you apply filters or effects, then it will probably need to be rendered.

Of course it would be good if both are shooting 720p or 1080p and the same frame rate.

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Jul 6, 2010 at 7:53:43 am

Perhaps Cineform's NeoScene is a good alternative too? http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/features.php

Richard van den Boogaard
cameraman / editor / video marketing consultant

Branded Channels
W: http://www.brandedchannels.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]