FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D Overheating Tip

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
T. Payton
Canon 7D Overheating Tip
on Jun 26, 2010 at 6:20:30 pm

I was shooting some interviews yesterday and after about an hour and a half of straight shooting I got the dreaded overheating warning and recording stopped on my 7D.

I gave it a rest for a few minutes, several times, to no avail. And then I swapped out the hot CF card (it was very hot) with a cool one. And boom, I was back to shooting.

I hope this is a real solution and can help others.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Canon 7D Overheating Tip
on Jun 26, 2010 at 9:46:57 pm

Wow that sounds like a great tip, I hope others find it works for them too!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 27, 2010 at 2:11:26 am

Perhaps inconvenient, but using 4 gig cards could be an option. More card changes, less data that could be lost per card, cheaper to buy more cards. Less heat. Maybe it's the heating of the card after all, and not the sensor as we all assumed.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 27, 2010 at 3:51:18 am

I think it is a combination of the sensor and the card. Once I had left the 7D and LCD on during a setup, about 30 minutes, and the overheating began within about 30 minutes of shooting. The shoot yesterday was a good 90 minutes before the overheating started.

I'll be shooting another interview on Tuesday and I'm sure I'll get overheated again. I'll do the card swap again and report back.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:37:33 pm

Just a quick report. I shot an hour long interview yesterday and NO temp warning. Darn!

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jun 27, 2010 at 11:37:29 am

Not sure about that...
I'm working out dropped frams that i have on a 8 gig card.
I suspect the card is not fast enough.
(Don't let the datarate fool you, specs on cards are not met, and peaks will occur in H264)

Bigger cards are faster, so now i'm testing with 32 gig cards, hope that solves the problem.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Bob Knapp
on Jun 27, 2010 at 4:03:39 pm

Anyone know does the 5d overheat the same or is it better or worse?

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Jun 29, 2010 at 12:57:32 am

idk but i have heard it was better

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

James Kathrein
on Nov 19, 2012 at 5:22:44 pm

I use both canon 5d Mark II and the 7D as part of my three camera set-up for shooting interviews. I only get an hour with the 7D live view or recording. The 5D I have shot for 10 hours strait and never had a heat problem, just the annoying 12.5 minute record time and of course having to switch cards. I use all 32gig cards. But the 7D it does not matter If I switch cards or not I still have heat issues. I was wondering if maybe there is a way to add a cooling system to it.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Nov 19, 2012 at 5:38:51 pm

I've never seen a cooling system - I think mostly because that would require blowing air and, consequently, dust onto the sensor which is bad. I was thinking you could mount an aluminum heat sink (using a Canon mount) to the body and blow air across that (like a computer chip). Would work well with the 7D and 5D because they have metal frames (I may be wrong on the metal frame), but not so with the plastic frame cameras (like the T2i). I guess you could go to a computer store, buy an aluminum heat sink and attach it to a spare lens converter with JB Weld (or something) and try it.

Now I'm gonna have to try it! Gotta make sure no air can sneak in past the mount. May need a small, round piece of aluminum to mount to it first... dunno.

In the meantime, we used a car air conditioner, attached the body cap, and just held it in place. We had 2 cameras so while one was shooting, the other was cooling. This was in the middle of the summer here in Tucson and shooting during the day outdoors.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:11:13 pm

Shooting out in the arid desert gives us the same issues. While shooting outdoors at a brisk 95 degrees, we got shut down every 20-30 minutes. We wound up holding the camera in the stream of a car's A/C - seems to work best by pointing the air just to the left of center (as you're looking at the front of the camera) and taking the lens off and putting the cap on the body. I don't know what having the lens on does differently, but it seemed faster by a few minutes. Maybe the lens heats up, too. I'll try removing the card next time, too.

Maybe a heat sink or a small low power fan?

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Jul 10, 2010 at 11:32:16 pm

I have a 7D and use a battery grip with AA cells (6) 32Gig card and shoot till the card fills during interviews, never overheated and I live in Scottsdale AZ, quite hot here!

One idea about the "overheating" issues is when any battery drains, it get hot, if the batter is inside the camera the heat is transferred into the camera, by using the battery grip the heat stays outside of the camera, using the "dummy" battery with a cable will accomplish the same thing.

My $0.02

Malcolm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]